Lame horse please help. - Page 11
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > New to Horses

Lame horse please help.

This is a discussion on Lame horse please help. within the New to Horses forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree75Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-13-2014, 03:19 PM
      #101
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cacowgirl    
    TBQH=To Be Quite Honest-it's "text" speak, which HF tries to discourage ( I think). Hope Rusty is feeling better soon!
    He is please read the update
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-13-2014, 07:09 PM
      #102
    Green Broke
    From the pic posted of Rusty, he does not look that thin.. Can you feel his ribs under all that hair ? Winter hair can hide problems.He may need some extra calories in winter, beet pulp and maybe a senior feed for the vitamins . He may just be arthritic.
    Bute is for pain. Glad to hear he is no longer limping. He looks to have a hay belly or worms, you can find generic ivermectin fairly cheap and strongid .
    You can go 8 weeks on farrier work, if he has slow growing hooves. I have a couple of horses that go much longer, and they just don't grow hoof and keep them worn off ,
    My horses are all barefoot.
    Everyone who has horses was a Beginner at some point. Don't get discouraged by rude comments . There is only one dumb question , and that is the one that is not asked.
    beverleyy likes this.
         
        02-13-2014, 08:16 PM
      #103
    Green Broke
    Glad he seems better, please update us once Laura comes!
         
        02-13-2014, 08:19 PM
      #104
    Green Broke
    Oh just FYI, personally I would stay far far away from anything wire with horses. I know some people do it but several of my own horses have had issues with it and I like them in one piece! If it's only wire it's very difficult to see.

    This is what I use:

    Works well and is relatively cheap.

    Just a heads up if you want to re-fence, do some research and pick the best option.
    KigerQueen likes this.
         
        02-16-2014, 05:27 PM
      #105
    Foal
    Rusty Update Important!
    He is back to limping Laura took care of Rusty's hoofs. Turns out he had abscess on his heel. They are popped already so we are putting stuff on it to help him heal everyday. On a regular trimming schedual now.
    Jake and Dai likes this.
         
        02-16-2014, 05:31 PM
      #106
    Foal
    "There is only one dumb question , and that is the one that is not asked"
    Thanks for the adviser and I agree with quote. Posted update about Rusty.
    stevenson likes this.
         
        02-16-2014, 05:34 PM
      #107
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yogiwick    
    Glad he seems better, please update us once Laura comes!
    Just poster update
         
        02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
      #108
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yogiwick    
    Oh just FYI, personally I would stay far far away from anything wire with horses. I know some people do it but several of my own horses have had issues with it and I like them in one piece! If it's only wire it's very difficult to see.

    This is what I use:

    Works well and is relatively cheap.

    Just a heads up if you want to re-fence, do some research and pick the best option.
    Thanks for the advise.
         
        02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
      #109
    Trained
    Care to post some hoof pics? Have you booked the vet yet, if he's limping again/still?? If the abscesses have already burst, they shouldn't be the cause of continuing lameness, esp at the heels, where they often come & go unnoticed, without obvious lameness at all.
    Yogiwick likes this.
         
        02-16-2014, 08:08 PM
      #110
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by loosie    
    Care to post some hoof pics? Have you booked the vet yet, if he's limping again/still?? If the abscesses have already burst, they shouldn't be the cause of continuing lameness, esp at the heels, where they often come & go unnoticed, without obvious lameness at all.
    Have yet to have spare time but I will when I get time.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Lame not lame, one leg, two legs all four? Golden Horse Horse Health 26 06-14-2013 10:20 AM
    What do you do when your horse comes up lame? kiwi79 Horse Health 3 09-18-2012 06:01 AM
    My horse is always lame HELP!! IchigoSweeties Horse Health 17 02-21-2012 08:17 AM
    Does This horse look lame?? EthanQ Horse Health 23 11-26-2011 11:26 AM
    My Horse Went Lame :'( SpiritJordanRivers Horse Health 3 11-14-2009 09:45 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0