new - AQHA bloodlines?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > New to Horses

new - AQHA bloodlines?

This is a discussion on new - AQHA bloodlines? within the New to Horses forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Gk cuttin cat
  • Smart asa lynx

Like Tree22Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-21-2013, 03:44 PM
  #1
Yearling
new - AQHA bloodlines?

Wanted to buy a horse for my family to learn with, and figured it would be a good family-centric hobby.

Found an add on craigslist -- started negotiating -- girl was selling her quarter horse (6 year old) because she was going to college.

The girl would not sell the mare unless a filly went with her.

The (16 month old) filly had AQHA papers on her -- and was hoping for help deciphering what they mean. I can look up individual horses and see what they won ect. But I am not sure if I understand the overall picture.



Stud:
Smart Asa Lynx Quarter Horse

Mare:
Gk Cuttin Cat Quarter Horse


The best I can get out of it is she is from cutting bloodlines ---
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-21-2013, 03:48 PM
  #2
Trained
I would take her in a heartbeat. The sire line is amazing. Lots of foundation qh blood all over this girl.

Very nice, even superb pedigree.
Posted via Mobile Device
smrobs likes this.
     
    08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLaPorte432    
I would take her in a heartbeat. The sire line is amazing. Lots of foundation qh blood all over this girl.

Very nice, even superb pedigree.
Posted via Mobile Device
i have her -- pretty sorrel -- used to being handled -- a little bit stubborn and very clingy with the mare she came with

Just not sure what to do with her now --- got the mare for my daughter so she could learn how to work with an animal -- which would be good for her attitude

Do I just work with her so my kids can ride -- or do I try to go a little bit further and in a few years get her in some competitions or showings?
     
    08-21-2013, 04:20 PM
  #4
Yearling
Also -- any special feed?

Neighbors horse is in my pasture -- 19 year old -- been feeding her 10% sweet feed

Does a growing horse need 12% or 14% --- or can I mix 1/2 oats with 1/2 10%?

They have free-choice grass - 10 acres worth and free-choice hay -- and only feed them sweet feed twice a day and alfalfa treats when I try to do any work with them
     
    08-21-2013, 04:26 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike    
also -- any special feed?

Neighbors horse is in my pasture -- 19 year old -- been feeding her 10% sweet feed

Does a growing horse need 12% or 14% --- or can I mix 1/2 oats with 1/2 10%?

They have free-choice grass - 10 acres worth and free-choice hay -- and only feed them sweet feed twice a day and alfalfa treats when I try to do any work with them

All our horses, 4 months to 19 yrs eat the same feed. It's a 10% protein performance mix of grain, pellets, and beet pulp from the local mill. Their forage is 24x7 pasture and free choice hay.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-21-2013, 04:37 PM
  #6
Weanling
I have 5 horses and free feed a round bale (1100 pounds+/-) of either coastal bermuda or wheat hay, which lasts a week. I have:

1 - a 23 year old gelding whom my daughter uses for parades and flagging events, and he gets equine senior, omolene 200, and a joint supplement.

2 - a pregnant 18 year old mare, and she gets mare and foal (or omolene 300) along with the hay.

3 - a 19 month old colt, who gets the mare and foal as well as the hay, since he is still growing.

4 - a 8 year old gelding and 10 year old mare who primarily stay on hay or the omolene 200 (not always fed this daily).

If/ when they start dropping weight, I will put them on soaked beet pulp with a little canola oil in addition to everything else. There are varied responses to what to feed for weight, but I found this works best for my guys.

As for what to do with the filly... as it sounds like you are planning on keeping her, then work with her with the intention of her just being a pleasure riding horse for now, and see what she develops into. Certain competitions may require sending her off to a specialized trainer, and that could get very costly. I do love her lines as well, and you should have a great horse in both the mare and filly both.
     
    08-21-2013, 08:08 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor74    
I have 5 horses and free feed a round bale (1100 pounds+/-) of either coastal bermuda or wheat hay, which lasts a week. I have:

1 - a 23 year old gelding whom my daughter uses for parades and flagging events, and he gets equine senior, omolene 200, and a joint supplement.

2 - a pregnant 18 year old mare, and she gets mare and foal (or omolene 300) along with the hay.

3 - a 19 month old colt, who gets the mare and foal as well as the hay, since he is still growing.

4 - a 8 year old gelding and 10 year old mare who primarily stay on hay or the omolene 200 (not always fed this daily).

If/ when they start dropping weight, I will put them on soaked beet pulp with a little canola oil in addition to everything else. There are varied responses to what to feed for weight, but I found this works best for my guys.

As for what to do with the filly... as it sounds like you are planning on keeping her, then work with her with the intention of her just being a pleasure riding horse for now, and see what she develops into. Certain competitions may require sending her off to a specialized trainer, and that could get very costly. I do love her lines as well, and you should have a great horse in both the mare and filly both.
that was very detailed --- I appreciate that a lot --- looking up omolene now --- switched from 10% all-stock to 10% horse and cattle ($1 more - but it has cracked grains in it instead of just pellets)

Without a doubt I am keeping them both -- long time dream of mine, now I am getting to live it with my wife and kids.

Both horses will still be here when my mortgage gets paid off -- I just want to do everything as well as I can so both the horses and the kids grow up with good habits
Falcor74 likes this.
     
    08-21-2013, 08:12 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike    
i have her -- pretty sorrel -- used to being handled -- a little bit stubborn and very clingy with the mare she came with

Just not sure what to do with her now --- got the mare for my daughter so she could learn how to work with an animal -- which would be good for her attitude

Do I just work with her so my kids can ride -- or do I try to go a little bit further and in a few years get her in some competitions or showings?
You got a horse to correct a daughter with attitude? Good luck with that one. My experience with that was that the attitude was actually worse when with the horse since I would not let her take it out on him. Good news is she is now human again......became so at about 22. Until then-good luck.
smrobs and flytobecat like this.
     
    08-21-2013, 08:13 PM
  #9
Super Moderator
I think what you need to do with that baby is, put it on a trailer and send it to me. Sight unseen. I'll take it... teehee.....

I'd handle it and do ground work with it, but when it comes time to ride, I personally, would bite the bullet and send it to a trainer. Get it done right so you can really have fun with it.
     
    08-21-2013, 09:33 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
You got a horse to correct a daughter with attitude? Good luck with that one. My experience with that was that the attitude was actually worse when with the horse since I would not let her take it out on him. Good news is she is now human again......became so at about 22. Until then-good luck.
just to help her recognize when she has an attitude --- horses seem to pick up on that and become uncooperative with her --- when she gets it under control they start listening to her again

I wouldn't tolerate her mistreating a horse --- so I watch very closely while she is riding

Mine just turned 12 --- so I have 10 more years of this?
KigerQueen likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique her bloodlines? AQHA mare LovesMyDunnBoy Horse Breeds 23 06-26-2012 09:56 PM
Breezy's Bloodlines (AQHA) Equilove Horse Colors and Genetics 1 03-20-2012 11:07 AM
AQHA Bloodlines Question chadthom Horse Breeds 25 03-07-2012 03:50 PM
AQHA bloodlines Kentucky Horse Breeding 35 12-24-2009 09:22 PM
Two Eyed Jack Bloodlines, AQHA..... Got2Gallop Horse Breeds 7 10-27-2009 05:38 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0