Thinking of getting your own horse? - Page 4 - The Horse Forum

 364Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 157 Old 08-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,678
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by remka View Post
I personal think that beginners have not done the work to deserve a horse. Nothin irritates me more than seeing a six year old get a pony from daddy for Christmas, or even word grandpa, since I never had one. It may be jealousy, but I think it's my belief in hard work=reward. I have been riding for almost 12 years, since I was four, and I have learned all about horsemanship, I know how to fit a saddle, how to fix a behavioral problem, have helped train horses, rode green horses, handled foals, worked with stallions, been bucked off way too many times, and learned the most important lesson of life, when you fall, get back up an get back on. And you know how I learned it? By NOT Having my own horse. I have ridden a ton of different horses, and had the opportunity to do a lot of different things, I partially resent my parents for never getting me a horse, but I partially thank them. In my opinion, you need to have at least four years riding under your belt, I have eleven, and I still don't have a horse. You should be able to tell me how a saddle should fit, and recognize when it is correct, and when it is incorrect. You should be able to recognize colic, lameness, swelling, and heat, and other sicknesses. Flicka, the black stallion, dreamer and other movies may be good movies, but that's it, they are movies. They are not true, in moondance Alexander, the girl practically learns to jump in a month! It doesn't work that way, sorry! It's not a fairytale, it can be, but it can also be terrible, if you don't know what you are doing. You can get hurt really bad, and a horse can end up in a bad situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're madly jealous, and it's really sad. They're six year old kids. A horse isn't a divine right. Some of those horses are given wonderful homes. You rather they sit around and go to the kill buyer because no one is "experienced enough" to own them?

Shame on you. The best teacher of horses is the horse.

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 157 Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 21,783
• Horses: 3
Great thread Foxhunter
I haven't had time to read all through it as my barn is 'calling to me very loudly'
I imagine some else has already said that you can't learn to ride from watching Youtube videos and the more shared information from real life experience you can get the better
Always question everything and research things
I know there are exceptions but a cheap horse quite often ends up costing you a lot more money in the long run
When you weigh up the monthly costs of keeping one its often better to put that cash aside for a while and use it to buy a good proven horse than to rush out and get one that's free or as good as.
tcvhorse likes this.
jaydee is offline  
post #33 of 157 Old 08-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 120
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel View Post
You're madly jealous, and it's really sad. They're six year old kids. A horse isn't a divine right. Some of those horses are given wonderful homes. You rather they sit around and go to the kill buyer because no one is "experienced enough" to own them?

Shame on you. The best teacher of horses is the horse.
No, I don't rather they go to a kill buyer, but in my expierience, that's where they end up, or worse, the kid looses interest, or can't ride the horse properly, stands in a field for two years, gets sold to another home, rider doesn't know what they are doing either, horse develops vices, owner can't sell, an sends to slaughter, or abuses it. I have seen this happen before, and I have heard stories. I'm not so much jealous, as I am thankful. If my parents had gotten me a horse when I was six, I would not be the rider I am today, there is only so much you can learn from riding a properly trained horse. It's great that little girls get horses, but I don't think they will appreciate them as much, as they would if they work for it. That's what I meant, when I mentioned jealousy, I meant the grandpa part. Both mine died before I was born, and I am not exactly jealous, but I get a little sad when I see other people having fun with theirs, because I never met mine. I'm sorry if you got the message wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
remka is offline  
post #34 of 157 Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,678
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by remka View Post
No, I don't rather they go to a kill buyer, but in my expierience, that's where they end up, or worse, the kid looses interest, or can't ride the horse properly, stands in a field for two years, gets sold to another home, rider doesn't know what they are doing either, horse develops vices, owner can't sell, an sends to slaughter, or abuses it. I have seen this happen before, and I have heard stories. I'm not so much jealous, as I am thankful. If my parents had gotten me a horse when I was six, I would not be the rider I am today, there is only so much you can learn from riding a properly trained horse. It's great that little girls get horses, but I don't think they will appreciate them as much, as they would if they work for it. That's what I meant, when I mentioned jealousy, I meant the grandpa part. Both mine died before I was born, and I am not exactly jealous, but I get a little sad when I see other people having fun with theirs, because I never met mine. I'm sorry if you got the message wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is a huge blanket assumption. And there is nothing wrong with a horse sitting in a field for two years. Infact that is their near-natural habitat. You can't be sure that most of those horses end up being abused, etc.

I cannot comment on if it feels better having worked for your horse or not. Mine was given to me by my previous boss. I didn't save up and buy him, yet he is my entire world.

Sure people would be better off learning how to properly care for a horse, but the only thing those people are 'guilty' of is not being taught that what they're doing can be improved.

I lost my abuelo before I met him too, but I've never been jealous of others with their grandparents. I simply cherish times I've spent with him.

You're entitled to your own opinions but when they are borderline unhealthy in my eyes, I will speak up. It's who I am.

I had these girls at a horse camp I was hosting talking trash about some of the autstic children riding this beautiful mare. They said she didn't deserve her because she was a horrible rider. They were let go that day.

I had a friend that didn't have a freaking clue about horse ownership but there she was, feet deep in it. I pointed her to some resources. She was 12.

I rather not hold ill contempt for people that own horses. I rather focus on finding the ones without homes, someone to care for them.

But that's just me.

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #35 of 157 Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 9,733
• Horses: 0
For people who want to classify themselves as 'riders' it is important that they ride as many different horses as they can.
These also need to be different temperaments, different gaits, different ways of being ridden.
The young child who gets a pony for birthday is lucky but also put at a disadvantage because they do not get a diversity to sit on.

The biggest advantage I had as a child, was to ride at a good riding school which swapped the pony we rode on a regular basis. Even when we were competing and this, when jumping or showing, was on the same animal for the season, we were made to ride others in lessons.
What made me even luckier was that my parents could not afford for me to ride every week so, I would get on anything I could which meant naughty/problem ponies that came in for training, became my way of getting extra free rides. I was bucked off, run away with, had to learn how to sort out nappy ponies, ones that reared, you name it and I rode them!
I cannot even begin to count the number of times I fell off before I was 12! It did slacken off a tad after this age because I got stronger and was able to hang on long enough to make them know it was worthless.
One 13.2 pony could buck a rider off at a walk. Several children tried riding him to no avail. One day I took him into the arena determined to get him into a canter. He dropped me several times, I never got angry, just clamoured back on board and continued. In the end he just gave up bucking, not because I rode him out but because I never gave up and he had less energy than I had determination.

Of course I wanted my own pony but in retrospect I am glad I didn't because I learned so much more riding a diversity of animals.
Foxhunter is online now  
post #36 of 157 Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by remka View Post
I personal think that beginners have not done the work to deserve a horse.
That's one harsh (and very blind, and even offensive) statement I have to say. There is no such a thing as "deserve" when you are paying for the care, training, etc. yourself. EVEN if you are the beginner.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
kitten_Val is offline  
post #37 of 157 Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
Am I the only person who bought a horse and THEN learned to ride? Am I the only one who has never had a saddle fitter out to tell me what saddle to buy, and the only one whose horses don't get massages? Heck, I'm beginning to feel like running out to the corral and shouting, "Forgive me! I'm unworthy!" It is a good thing my horses don't have Internet access...
bsms, I definitely see your point here! :)

I think that most people on thread simply suggest most safe way to get a horse for the beginners. And I agree with most of the advices (although when I got my horses I did everything opposite to almost every post here ).

P.S. But I do use saddle fitter for my horses as I consider good fit to be paramount.
ShirtHotTeez and Werecat like this.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."

Last edited by kitten_Val; 08-05-2013 at 07:41 AM.
kitten_Val is offline  
post #38 of 157 Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 9,733
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post

Am I the only person who bought a horse and THEN learned to ride? Am I the only one who has never had a saddle fitter out to tell me what saddle to buy, and the only one whose horses don't get massages? Heck, I'm beginning to feel like running out to the corral and shouting, "Forgive me! I'm unworthy!" It is a good thing my horses don't have Internet access...
No, you are not the first nor will you be the last!
It has worked out OK for you but, all to often, and you only have to read some of the questions asked here, people are frightened of dealing with a horse that is unsuitable for them.
I am inclined to agree with you over saddle fit, massage and chiropractors. A lot of people look for a reason as to why their horse is misbehaving and these can be a good excuse.
I am not saying that a bad fitting saddle or a misalignment will not cause problems because they can but it is rarely the cause of a problem.
Foxhunter is online now  
post #39 of 157 Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
I am not saying that a bad fitting saddle or a misalignment will not cause problems because they can but it is rarely the cause of a problem.
I'm going to disagree with both of you here. One of my horses is uneven (so fitting her is important AND not easy) + very particular about the bit (it must be fitted right and be stable). If both are addressed she's a pleasure to ride (well, most of the time ).
Skyseternalangel likes this.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
kitten_Val is offline  
post #40 of 157 Old 08-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
• Horses: 1
I'd like to comment on some previous statements about "working" to get your horse. I'm young, so my opinion is limited, and I don't currently ride competitively. But all this talk is kind of getting me mad.

Please, stop and think about the situation. I lived in a town of 60 people, with the closest wal-mart being a 45 minute drive away. There were no barns, no stable, no riding schools, and nobody even thought about any style of riding other that western. The only way possible for ANYONE in my town, and the next town over, to learn to ride was buying a horse, getting on it, and hoping everything works out. That's how everything in towns like that started. Of course, there were dozens of fantastic western riders there to help you along, people who had been riding horse of any type their entire lives. But, you know how most of them learned? Hopping on a horse and hoping everything works out. When you live in a community where horses are used as a member of a working team (I'm talking actual cattle-driving across miles of land) things are a little different.

What I'm trying to say is, not everyone lives in a place where riding schools are available. (I would have been laughed at if I had suggested going to a riding school) Not everyone has the opportunity to ride dozens of different horses. I'm asking that you think about how lucky you actually are for living in such a fantastic place. And having the money for it! I live now less than a mile from an English riding school, but $120 a month is something I can't afford.
kayciance is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is this horse thinking? ShelbyLovesHorses Horse Talk 7 07-20-2012 04:07 PM
A horse I'm thinking of buying SkyeDawn Horse Training 19 02-07-2012 02:49 PM
Thinking of going to a Horse Auction pinkyshot Horse Talk 11 08-25-2011 12:27 AM
Thinking about a horse... blackrose Horse Talk 5 04-01-2010 12:11 AM
Thinking about getting rid of my horse. JavaLover Horses for Sale 12 01-03-2010 03:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome