Can this breed have a pit look???
   

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > Other Pets

Can this breed have a pit look???

This is a discussion on Can this breed have a pit look??? within the Other Pets forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category

    Like Tree78Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-19-2014, 08:46 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Can this breed have a pit look???

    I have a border collie lab mix and he has a pitbull like look. I'm super nervous he might have pit in him! But I googled pics of his breed and some of the dogs looked like pits a little.
    I can't have do a breed test because he is only 5 months.
    Opinions?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-19-2014, 08:59 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Without pictures it's hard to tell. There are a few dog breeds that have the Pitbull look to them. The two I know of are the Pitbull and the American Staffordshire Terrier. The American Staffordshire terrier is a relative of the Pitbull. The one American Staffordshire Terrier I came across, I mistook him for a Pitbull, was really sweet and loving. All he wanted was attention.

    Here's more information on the breed.
    American Staffordshire Terrier Information and Pictures

    It's not the end of the world if he is a cross with a Pitbull though, you'll just have to keep a closer eye on him. Or he could just have a different facial structure. You won't know until you test for his breeding.
         
        06-19-2014, 09:05 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    Whatever people say pitbulls are actually fabulous dogs my brother has had two purebred pits. Both will lick youo to death and only want love and attention and they are both amazing dogs and are careful and protective of his now 2 year old daughter. The sterotype about pitbulls really floors me since I have dealt with them first hand and they are not at all what people make them out to be. It is the people that decide how they act they are NOT born nasty hateful and wanting to fight.
         
        06-19-2014, 09:10 PM
      #4
    Green Broke
    I can remember reading an article one time and one of the comments in the article was from a man who owned a purebred lab -- his concern was that his dog would be wrongly branded as a pit because its facial structure was on the broad side. So it may be possible that certain family lines in the lab breed carry those features. At any rate, enjoy your dog and let us know the answer when you get the test done if you go ahead with it.
         
        06-19-2014, 09:10 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    Why be nervous because he might have pit in him? That's the most rediculous thing I have every heard!
         
        06-19-2014, 09:19 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitinsane    
    Why be nervous because he might have pit in him? That's the most rediculous thing I have every heard!
    Because my dad will freak! I know pits can be very dogs, I'm just a tad intimidated by them, I don't have them but like I said my dad will freak if Four has pit in him.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-19-2014, 09:21 PM
      #7
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chevaux    
    I can remember reading an article one time and one of the comments in the article was from a man who owned a purebred lab -- his concern was that his dog would be wrongly branded as a pit because its facial structure was on the broad side. So it may be possible that certain family lines in the lab breed carry those features. At any rate, enjoy your dog and let us know the answer when you get the test done if you go ahead with it.
    Hmmm, let's hope that's the case. I'm pretty sure the have to be 2 y-o, and he is 5 months.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-19-2014, 09:21 PM
      #8
    Foal
    I'd be more nervous about the border collie in him; I've known quite a few pitbulls but I've been bitten or almost bitten by a lot of border collies and never even got a mean glance from a pitbull. Either way, obedience lessons are sooooo important, along with good socialization and consistent training.
    EliRose, SirComet and rescuechick like this.
         
        06-19-2014, 09:23 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tempest    
    Without pictures it's hard to tell. There are a few dog breeds that have the Pitbull look to them. The two I know of are the Pitbull and the American Staffordshire Terrier. The American Staffordshire terrier is a relative of the Pitbull. The one American Staffordshire Terrier I came across, I mistook him for a Pitbull, was really sweet and loving. All he wanted was attention.

    Here's more information on the breed.
    American Staffordshire Terrier Information and Pictures

    It's not the end of the world if he is a cross with a Pitbull though, you'll just have to keep a closer eye on him. Or he could just have a different facial structure. You won't know until you test for his breeding.
    I'll post pics soon! My concern is because we have a dog literally the size of a rat, and if he even does a small snap at her she's toast, and my mom would kill Four if he killed her dog.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        06-19-2014, 09:29 PM
      #10
    Green Broke
    You can not test to see if he has pit bull as they are not in the data base, it only covers AKC breeds I believe. Another thing is many times dogs labeled "pit mixes" have ZERO pit. Pit bulls are actually small dogs maxing at about 50 lbs and don't have monster heads.

    They are good dogs but are bred for ANIMAL aggression not human but animal, it isn't a "if you raise them right" thing its in their genetics. Not a bad thing but just something you need to pay attention to and be aware of.

    My full lab has what is referred to as a block head so his head is bigger then the everyday lab and we have been asked if he is part mastiff, he isn't. It is impossible to guess what is in a dog. Looking at my dobe/rott you would NEVER guess she is 1/4 rott.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg teagan.jpg (33.1 KB, 102 views)
    Rialto likes this.
         
    Dog Forums

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Anyone in Michigan looking for a pit bull? Dusty1228 Other Pets 5 06-29-2014 05:45 PM
    I am a Bottomless Pit and Glad that I am princessfluffybritches Horse Boarding 6 03-26-2014 10:39 PM
    Lab/Pit? DriftingShadow Other Pets 23 01-22-2013 10:00 AM
    Pit bulls? Lonestar22 General Off Topic Discussion 105 01-31-2010 09:30 AM
    Banning Pit Bulls. Small_Town_Girl General Off Topic Discussion 68 08-21-2008 09:23 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0