Two weeks ago, my parents and I were driving home in the rain from the barn and I saw a muddy, torn up box with holes in it, dumped on the side of the road. Out of curiousity, we stopped and I got out to see what was in it, and I didn't believe what I saw.
Seven four week old puppies were crammed into a less than 2 x 2' box, with only sawdust to keep them warm. I rushed them back to the car, and we loaded them up. At this point, five out of seven were already dead, and had been for quite some time- as they were all stiff. We quickly seperated the living two- one male and one female, and brought them home.
An hour later the female died, leaving us with only one starving brown puppy, who we named Connor. We put him on watered puppy food, and he seemed to be doing nicely. He was six and a half pounds and very lively, and things were looking great.
Two days ago, however, we began to notice a change. His belly began to look swollen and he would have a hard time deficating, having diahhrea and becoming very lethargic. We also noticed that he was having neurological problems, standing with his feet turned in and often buckling and falling on his face, or quivering so badly that he had to lay down.
Alarmed, we schedualed him to be seen by the vet, and after a night of staying up all night crying and groaning, we finally got him seen. He was tested for five different worms, coming back with one worm positive. The vet wasn't convinced that this worm was doing all of the neurological damage she was seeing though, and after much thought, we tested Connor for parvo.
Less than an hour ago, we were called with tragic news. Connor has tested positive for parvo. The choice was to either put him down right away, or to begin treatment. We have already fallen in love with Connor at the point, and seeing his will to live and his sweet, gentle nature- we decided to try and help him battle one of the worst viruses a dog can have...at only six pounds, and barely six weeks old.
The vet has given Connor a 15% chance of living, but we are willing to try our hardest to- if not cure him- make his last weeks comfortable. He is on an at-home-IV, five antibiotics, and close watch, as well as quarentine.
I'm telling all of you this because I am requesting support. For those of you who, like me, are christians, I beg you to pray for little Connor, who has already gone through so much. If you are not, keep him in mind for the next three weeks as he fights death. He's going to need it. We are already considering a blood transfusion, as well as a few other things, but our funds are low. Help me tell Connor not to give up!
Day one of parvo treatment:
If connor is to worsen in the next three days, we will put him down on Monday. We do not want to prolong his pain, but we also want to give him the chance he seems to so desperately crave.