Felix showing off(: - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 5,166
• Horses: 2
Beautiful fish, I love his color!

R.I.P Duke <3
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.~Winston Churchill
WesternRider88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 382
• Horses: 0
Thanks for the comments(:
Phly, I don't have it that bad...yet! I'm more obsessed with Bettas at the moment, but I'd eventually LOVE to get into Saltwater Aquariums. ^-^ What kind of fish did you have?
And I think a school of guppies would be safe(; there's no harm! Haha
But I don't have any females at the moment, but I'm looking into breeding them (doing a ton of research) so I hope to find some nice females eventually ^-^
rexing93 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 713
• Horses: 2
Nice fish!! Love his colors!!

Mine just died... his name was "Bane" named after the villan in Batman (boyfriend named him).... It's been proven I have no luck with Fish, after all the research I do and experience I have, they usually end up croaking. I did have a very large fresh water tank with all kinds of neat fish, they probably lasted the longest, even after a bad case of Ick that infected them all!!

~A Cowboy's Chance~
1977-2011
Rest in Peace
Fulford15 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,157
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulford15 View Post
Nice fish!! Love his colors!!

Mine just died... his name was "Bane" named after the villan in Batman (boyfriend named him).... It's been proven I have no luck with Fish, after all the research I do and experience I have, they usually end up croaking. I did have a very large fresh water tank with all kinds of neat fish, they probably lasted the longest, even after a bad case of Ick that infected them all!!
The bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. There's more room for parameters to fluctuate in a big tank without affecting the fish (as bad) than there is in small tanks. Quality of stock makes a big difference, too. If you're getting all your fish from Walmart or a bad Petco/Petsmart, then you're going to have problems with disease (I use the term "bad" here to mean stores that leave dead or infected fish in their main tanks which are all on a recirculating filtration system, so disease spreads quickly). I've found that some small-time local stores usually have better stock, or if you can find a box store with somewhat knowledgable fish staff, you're good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fulford15 likes this.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 713
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
The bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. There's more room for parameters to fluctuate in a big tank without affecting the fish (as bad) than there is in small tanks. Quality of stock makes a big difference, too. If you're getting all your fish from Walmart or a bad Petco/Petsmart, then you're going to have problems with disease (I use the term "bad" here to mean stores that leave dead or infected fish in their main tanks which are all on a recirculating filtration system, so disease spreads quickly). I've found that some small-time local stores usually have better stock, or if you can find a box store with somewhat knowledgable fish staff, you're good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed! Right now I just have a small Betta "bowl", I found it was getting dirty so fast, I bought a snail to help keep the alge down... The Pet Store here seems reliable, I know the staff there are great, my friend used to work there for 8 years. It's a small store, theres no fish at Walmart, nor is there is Pet Smart. I found the Pet Smart in my hometown was fabulous, that's where I got all my fish from when I lived there!
Idk, must be that little bowl.... going to have to try again and go get a proper tank... Bane # 3 shall live!!!!

~A Cowboy's Chance~
1977-2011
Rest in Peace
Fulford15 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 15,157
• Horses: 1
The smallest tank I've found a betta is easily kept in is 5 gallons, heated and filtered. Anything smaller than that (especially unfiltered) and it just gets too dirty too quickly.

Check thrift stores, Craigslist and yard sales for tanks on the cheap. I've never spent more than $60 on a tank and that was my 46gal bowfront (came with filter, light, and a ton of extras). I got one of my 55gals and my 75gal (with solid wood stand) for free.
Posted via Mobile Device
Fulford15 likes this.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south of nowhere, north of nothing
Posts: 4,641
• Horses: 6
Wow! Felix is one awesome looking dude!

Y'all have RUINED me. Lol I keep seeing pictures of betfas and now I want one....or two... lol. Looks like um goin to petco today!

*Insert something witty*
Roperchick is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,178
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexing93 View Post
Thanks for the comments(:
Phly, I don't have it that bad...yet! I'm more obsessed with Bettas at the moment, but I'd eventually LOVE to get into Saltwater Aquariums. ^-^ What kind of fish did you have?
And I think a school of guppies would be safe(; there's no harm! Haha
But I don't have any females at the moment, but I'm looking into breeding them (doing a ton of research) so I hope to find some nice females eventually ^-^
An easier answer would be what haven't I had, lol. I really favor large freshwater predators. And oddballs. I've had a jaguar cichlid lay waste to my finger, shovel nose catfish barbed and bit me all at once, sea urchin used my hand for a pin cushin (that sucked! Hand swelled up bad). Those were just the really bad ones. Some of my favorites where fahaka puffer, all my puffers really, knife fish, bichir, love the 3 lake African cichlids, discus are super cool also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Phly is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 382
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phly View Post
An easier answer would be what haven't I had, lol. I really favor large freshwater predators. And oddballs. I've had a jaguar cichlid lay waste to my finger, shovel nose catfish barbed and bit me all at once, sea urchin used my hand for a pin cushin (that sucked! Hand swelled up bad). Those were just the really bad ones. Some of my favorites where fahaka puffer, all my puffers really, knife fish, bichir, love the 3 lake African cichlids, discus are super cool also.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think I'm just going to stick with my Bettas XD
You sound like you have had quite the handful of aquatic pets though! X]
Sounds like you had a very nice selection, too!
rexing93 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,178
• Horses: 4
Thank you. Fish were a huge passion of mine. Still are really, just on a smaller scale. I don't keep as many but still love the hobby. Currently I have a self reliant salt tank that has no outside filtration or water pumps, just air added. And that is really cool. It's been running for years with little outside influence. It's really like a ride pool. As I type this I have a 6'x2'x2' tank empty in my livingroom. I had it custom built for me all the way down to the glass and braces. I'm itching to fill it, but horses have takin my attention away from it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Phly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Felix!(: rexing93 Other Pets 2 03-12-2013 12:06 PM
grooming for showing although not showing moorland Horse Grooming 3 02-18-2011 03:19 AM
Showing Miami Western Pleasure 17 01-10-2011 10:01 AM
New to showing! Help please! Gidget Horse Showmanship 10 01-09-2011 02:29 AM
Showing-need help PLEASE!! jadeewood Horse Shows 6 10-17-2009 03:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome