Fish!! Does anyone know anything about them!? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > Other Pets

Fish!! Does anyone know anything about them!?

This is a discussion on Fish!! Does anyone know anything about them!? within the Other Pets forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Beta scum on fins
  • Betta with scum on fins

Like Tree8Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-03-2012, 09:39 PM
  #11
Teen Forum Moderator
Teracyclin (an antibiotic) or Neosuflex is what he needs. To me it sounds as if your new Beta has fin rot, which is caused by dirty water. Still eating and swimming about are good signs though! Use the Teracyclin until you see fins begin to grow back, then switch to Betta-Max once a month , a vitamin rich suppliment that will aid him in healing and won't hurt him. You can also add a pinch of aquarium or rock salt every time you clean his bown.

Also keep his water as clean as possible, by removing 1/3 of it every 4-5 days, and scrubbing it out when scum begins to build up. This will keep fin-rot from reoccuring!
Sparkyintention likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
  #12
Green Broke
I have always preferred to keep my bettas on a diet of frozen foods (though I really prefer live - but those can be hard to find/maintain on your own) - brine shrimp, blood worms, glass worms, black worms, etc and supplement that with flake/pellet foods. Maintaining healthy water will be key in preventing infection and promoting healthy fin growth and recovery. I know bettas are commonly seen as easy/bowl fish, but I prefer to keep mine in a setting where they can thrive vs. survive. My minimum is 2.5 gallon and I use gentle filtration rather than the old fashioned use a bow/remove the fish/clean the bowl/repeat approach. A sponge filter or SMALL power filter is a great way to keep your bettas water healthy.
Don't get me started on WM and their fish keeping "skills"...........that's a rant for another day.
Wallaby and Sparkyintention like this.
     
    02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Teracyclin (an antibiotic) or Neosuflex is what he needs. To me it sounds as if your new Beta has fin rot, which is caused by dirty water. Still eating and swimming about are good signs though! Use the Teracyclin until you see fins begin to grow back, then switch to Betta-Max once a month , a vitamin rich suppliment that will aid him in healing and won't hurt him. You can also add a pinch of aquarium or rock salt every time you clean his bown.

Also keep his water as clean as possible, by removing 1/3 of it every 4-5 days, and scrubbing it out when scum begins to build up. This will keep fin-rot from reoccuring!


Thank you!! I do find it funny how I get more, better descriptive answers from people on a horse forum than I do in an actual fish store :) We were googling what his symptoms and we had a good idea it was fin rot, but you know the internet now a days, it can tell you anything!!!! >.< I'm uploading pics of the little man right now!
     
    02-03-2012, 09:46 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack    
Don't get me started on WM and their fish keeping "skills"...........that's a rant for another day.
Oh my, I'm with you all the way on that!!
     
    02-03-2012, 09:46 PM
  #15
Foal
Here he is! They aren't high quality, but you can see his fins :(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0952[1].jpg (48.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0955[1].jpg (51.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0972[1].jpg (51.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0974[1].jpg (54.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0979[1].jpg (38.6 KB, 20 views)
     
    02-03-2012, 09:48 PM
  #16
Green Broke
If you are referring to WM as "an actual fish store" that is your problem - even PetSmart/Co doesn't fall into that category, imo. I am a fan of seeking advice from a nice LFS (Local Fish Store) where the staff are more than likely to have multiple tanks at home as well as the ones at work and have years of fish keeping knowledge to draw on.
Wallaby likes this.
     
    02-03-2012, 09:49 PM
  #17
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacpack    
If you are referring to WM as "an actual fish store" that is your problem - even PetSmart/Co doesn't fall into that category, imo. I am a fan of seeking advice from a nice LFS (Local Fish Store) where the staff are more than likely to have multiple tanks at home as well as the ones at work and have years of fish keeping knowledge to draw on.

LOL no, I'm referring to an actual local fish store. They just stared at me funny when I took him in and asked what was wrong.

I live in a very small area though, the nearest "larger" pet shops are an hour, two hours away.
     
Dog Forums

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feeding fish oil? Supermane Horse Health 3 07-03-2011 11:16 AM
Birds and Fish? ShutUpJoe General Off Topic Discussion 3 01-05-2011 05:27 PM
Tropical Fish My2Geldings Hobbies 17 03-29-2010 01:59 PM
Fish Oil Supplement Vidaloco General Off Topic Discussion 2 01-26-2010 05:22 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0