Really upset with a rescue right now. Am I out of line?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > Other Pets

Really upset with a rescue right now. Am I out of line?

This is a discussion on Really upset with a rescue right now. Am I out of line? within the Other Pets forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Rescueing riht now

Like Tree23Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
  #1
Trained
Really upset with a rescue right now. Am I out of line?

Ok. So I've been wanting a cairn terrier since I was in high school. I want to do EarthDog and agility. Some of you may remember my thread from a couple of weeks ago about a male puppy I found for free in Las Vegas that I was going to get. Let's just say that that fell through. Anyway, I cruise Petfinder almost every dat in the off chance that I find a purebred at a rescue. Well, I found one last Monday. A sweet-looking little six-month-old red brindle female. So, I emailed about her. Got a response on Monday that we sounded like a perfect match for her and asking if we could meet the lady in a town about two hours away on Thursday. It was too short notice for me to get off work, so I asked if we could meet on Sunday. I got an email back Thursday morning and I literally started crying. Apparently one of the vet techs at the vet they use fell in love with Sophie (the puppy) on Wednesday when she was at the vet for her spay and took her home "on a one week trial." Sophie's ad is now gone off Petfinder, which more than likely means the vet tech is adopting her.

Am I out of line in being upset about this? Do rescues often approve someone for an animal and then turn around and give it to someone involved in the rescue, just because they fell in love with the animal? I've not dealt with a rescue before, so I don't know if this often happens. Would I be out of line writing them an email expressing my disappointment and anger at this situation?

It would be different if cairns were easily found around here, but they are EXTREMELY difficult to find in Arizona or the surrounding states.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
  #2
Green Broke
Well unless you filled out/ signed an adoption application and the appointment was to pick her up for sure then I really believe it wasn't out of line. However if you hsd signed everything and she was' yours' then yes I would be very angry that they went against their word and gave her to someone else.
Rescues generally can not old dogs of someone else comes along and the dog isn't completely spoken for then you are out of luck.
Happened to my family we had corgi/ rotts a few years back at the pound told the front desk lady we wanted the black male but had to bring our other dogs in on monday to see how they would get along but by monday all 4 pups were gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-13-2012, 11:03 AM
  #3
Showing
There's no guarantee that you and the dog would have been a match, so them letting the vet tech take her instead of waiting another 3 days to find out if you and she would work out is better for the dog.

A guaranteed loving owner is better than a maybe. You couldn't meet when they originally scheduled, so the dog was still up for adoption. Just your bad luck someone got there ahead of you.

You really don't have any reason to be mad at the rescue.
themacpack likes this.
     
    11-13-2012, 11:52 AM
  #4
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian    
Well unless you filled out/ signed an adoption application and the appointment was to pick her up for sure then I really believe it wasn't out of line. However if you hsd signed everything and she was' yours' then yes I would be very angry that they went against their word and gave her to someone else.
Rescues generally can not old dogs of someone else comes along and the dog isn't completely spoken for then you are out of luck.
Happened to my family we had corgi/ rotts a few years back at the pound told the front desk lady we wanted the black male but had to bring our other dogs in on monday to see how they would get along but by monday all 4 pups were gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did fill out an adoption application and from the way the emails were worded, both my boyfriend and I were under the impression that the appointment we were trying to set up was to pick her up for sure. The only thing we had to do was meet the lady from the rescue, make sure that Sophie and my dog were okay with each other (which my dog adores little dogs, so there was no doubt they'd be fine) and pay the adoption fee, and she was ours. Me saying that we couldn't do it Thursday and asking if we could do it Sunday were in the same email. The next email I got from the rescue was saying that the vet tech had taken her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
There's no guarantee that you and the dog would have been a match, so them letting the vet tech take her instead of waiting another 3 days to find out if you and she would work out is better for the dog.

A guaranteed loving owner is better than a maybe. You couldn't meet when they originally scheduled, so the dog was still up for adoption. Just your bad luck someone got there ahead of you.

You really don't have any reason to be mad at the rescue.
From what the rescue emailed me, there was no guarantee the vet tech would have been a match, either. She had to ask her mom if they could try out Sophie and they weren't sure if Sophie would get along with their big, dominant cat.

I'm not the only one who thought the rescue was out of line. I have a friend in Colorado who shows cairns and who works with a rescue. I forwarded her all the emails and she was appalled at how the rescue acted.
     
    11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
  #5
Showing
Well then, go ahead and be mad. It won't change the outcome any, and all it does is serve to frustrate you.

Don't know what to tell you. It wasn't meant to be, or you would have gotten the dog. Time to move on and put your energy to something else other than being peeved because you didn't get what you wanted.

I was going to adopt a neutered Dane male from the local rescue, and instead they sent him to a MAGDRL where he's continued to sit. I was a little miffed, but got over it. I suggest you do the same.
     
    11-13-2012, 11:57 AM
  #6
Green Broke
You hadnt paid for her, therefore they can do whatever they want with her if another option came up. As I said they generally don't hold dogs unless paid for and are already a sure thing. They really aren't out of line , when I said filled out an adoption contract I meant that you had fully adopted/ paid for her and were just meeting to definitely for sure taking her home. Rescues get many adoption applications in not everyone can be made happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-13-2012, 11:58 AM
  #7
Started
Part of the reason animals are here is to teach us how to deal with loss, heartbreak, and disappointment. They also teach us to keep going in times of adversity. This is just a lesson. Don't give up faith in the search. If it didn't work out, then you were meant for another.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
  #8
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
Well then, go ahead and be mad. It won't change the outcome any, and all it does is serve to frustrate you.

Don't know what to tell you. It wasn't meant to be, or you would have gotten the dog. Time to move on and put your energy to something else other than being peeved because you didn't get what you wanted.

I was going to adopt a neutered Dane male from the local rescue, and instead they sent him to a MAGDRL where he's continued to sit. I was a little miffed, but got over it. I suggest you do the same.
slightly off topic but what does MAGDRL stand for?
     
    11-13-2012, 12:15 PM
  #9
Showing
Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League.
     
    11-13-2012, 12:24 PM
  #10
Trained
I understand about loss and "what's meant to be" and all that. I'm an adult. I get it.

However, I guess I'm just trying to guage if this is something rescues routinely do, or if this was not something they routinely do. By "this," I mean leading an adopter to believe that the animal is theirs, then giving it to someone involved in the rescue instead. Not another random person who saw the animal on Petfinder or wherever and filled out an application, but was a better fit. A person involved in the rescue. From what I was led to believe with rescues, it was "first come, first serve" with the public. Guess I was wrong. Oh, well.

Too bad we can't close our own threads.
     
Dog Forums

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So upset right now! ThePaintGirl Horse Training 23 10-23-2012 12:11 AM
I know I don't have a right to be upset, but I am eventerdrew Horse Talk 8 02-01-2011 10:04 AM
upset. Sir Drake Horse Talk 13 07-19-2009 03:22 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0