Why Is It Said...
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > Other Pets

Why Is It Said...

This is a discussion on Why Is It Said... within the Other Pets forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • IS A SMALL AMOUNT OF CHOCOLATE HARMFUL TO HORSES

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-31-2010, 12:17 PM
  #1
Weanling
Why Is It Said...

That feeding chocolate to dogs is bad? Ever since I can remember, our family has fed chocolate to our dogs, and whenever someone visiting exclaims: "It's poison!" I always wonder where that popular myth came from. I mean, I heard from my brother's friend (who works at a kennel) that dark chocolate is bad for them, but white and milk chocolate is fine. Though, come to think of it, our dogs have probably eaten at least a piece of dark over the years, and they're still alive and kicking. Thoughts, comments, concerns? What do you think?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
  #2
Showing
Chocolate and Dog Poisoning

We generally stick with table scraps for treats at our house.
     
    08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
  #3
Yearling
It is the dark chocolate that is harmful.... and even then, it must be in large quantities.
     
    08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
  #4
Trained
There is a compound (theobromine) in chocolate that is poisonous to dogs. The problem comes from the fact that different dogs have different sensitivities to it and different chocolates have different amounts. Some dogs will eat an entire chocolate bar and be just fine (or an entire chocolate cake). Others will eat a couple of baking chocolate chips and have major issues. Most people just err on the side of caution and don't give their dogs chocolate.

This site has some more information
Chocolate Toxicity and Pets - What Makes Chocolate Toxic To Dogs - Learn about Chocolate Toxcity and Pets

If you just google it you can find more information. You've just been "lucky" so far in that you've fed a small enough amount of the correct type of chocolate to dogs that are not extremely sensitive. I wouldn't give my dog chocolate, but I'm not going to freak out if he gets an oreo or a milk chocolate kiss.

     
    08-31-2010, 12:32 PM
  #5
Weanling

"Small dogs can be poisoned, it is easy to understand, from smaller amounts of theobromine than large dogs."

Our Jack Russell eats chocolate by the handfuls. Every time dad buys a chocolate bar, or a chocolate donut or what have you, she gets at least half of it.

That article was interesting...I just...find it weird. I have never seen a dog die from eating chocolate. Of course it's not like we let them eat a tray of brownies, either, but I don't think anyone would be feeling too good after eating a whole tray of brownies, human or canine.
     
    08-31-2010, 12:58 PM
  #6
Banned
Again, you have been lucky!

Very lucky even!
     
    08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
  #7
Banned
Well, people used to feed their horses tobacco to 'cure' stomach ailments. Nowadays anyone caught feeding their horses tobacco would be screeched at as an ignorant, abusive asshat, because tobacco has been found to be toxic to horses.

Ily, whether or not YOU think chocolate is bad for your dog is moot. The scientific studies and all evidence weigh against feeding it to dogs because of the health risks.

If you KNOW something is harmful and yet keep doing it because you haven't yet seen any bad results, doesn't mean it's not harmful. It just means you've been lucky.

To knowingly continue harmful behaviour towards an animal you profess to love, tells me something about your character.
     
    08-31-2010, 01:55 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
Well, people used to feed their horses tobacco to 'cure' stomach ailments. Nowadays anyone caught feeding their horses tobacco would be screeched at as an ignorant, abusive asshat, because tobacco has been found to be toxic to horses.

Tobacco, dear god

Anyways, I do agree. I didnt know untill lately that : chocolate, raisins, onion, tomatoes can be harmful to dogs. Once I found out, I simply stopped.

(I wasnt feeding my dog raw onions or something, just giving him a piece of my hamburger for example)

I am not going to wait for him to drop dead to convince myself that the guys who wrote the warnings were right. I have many other options to give him as treat or food so I am fine with that.

When it comes to an animal I love, i'd rather be safe than sorry
     
    08-31-2010, 03:21 PM
  #9
Weanling
Onions and tomatoes are bad for them too? I've heard about raisins and grapes giving them kidney or liver damage or something, but I didn't know onions and tomatoes were harmful. Hm.
     
    08-31-2010, 05:33 PM
  #10
Green Broke
Wow my dog LOVES grapes..
     
Dog Forums

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0