Horses after kids?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Life Beyond Horses > Parenting

Horses after kids?

This is a discussion on Horses after kids? within the Parenting forums, part of the Life Beyond Horses category
  • Horse for a kid, the horse forum
  • Having horses after kids

Like Tree44Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-15-2013, 12:55 AM
  #1
Foal
Horses after kids?

So... I am on the fence about having kids. One of the major reasons why is that I'm afraid that I will lose all of my time with my horses. I did some soul searching and I can imagine giving up a lot, but not my horses. I work with young horses, but I think I have finally settled on two that I will keep for a long while, so that means a bit less time for training. However my horses still take up a lot of time, worry and effort. I can't imagine adding the stress and work of having a little one on top of horses and a full time job. Can anyone give me a little reassurance?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-15-2013, 12:57 AM
  #2
Foal
If you do not have anyone to help watch kids your time for horses will decrease significantly until they are older from my experience. I get out to see mine once a month, without kid in tow
Posted via Mobile Device
MN Tigerstripes and WickedNag like this.
     
    01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
  #3
Banned
You WILL lose time with your horses. Sorry to sound so negative. But unless you have a big support group around you to help out, something is going to have to give.
All my family live overseas and we lived very far from my husbands parents, so I never had a big support group to help me out, so I took a break from horses for four and a half years......I did however attempt to shove my stroller up beside the arena and ride.....had to get on and off atleast 8 times!!!!
My children (2) are in school now, so I have plenty of time. But I did miss riding, for sure
     
    01-15-2013, 01:33 AM
  #4
Green Broke
Unless you have the funds for a babysitter, a husband that really likes being left with the kids (and if you do... I want to trade!!!!) or only want to ride pretty rarely, it's extremely hard.

Mine are 8 and 11 and it's still a nightmare during the Summer when they aren't in school because they're fighting and screaming for me over the arena fence! Not to mention the WHINING because they don't wanna go to the barn....

So for now I have my horse boarded in Winter and home in Summer. Really easy to ride at my own place, just turn on some horrid cartoon and not a peep from either kid until I come back in and turn OFF the TV!
     
    01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfina    
Unless you have the funds for a babysitter, a husband that really likes being left with the kids (and if you do... I want to trade!!!!) or only want to ride pretty rarely, it's extremely hard.

Mine are 8 and 11 and it's still a nightmare during the Summer when they aren't in school because they're fighting and screaming for me over the arena fence! Not to mention the WHINING because they don't wanna go to the barn....

So for now I have my horse boarded in Winter and home in Summer. Really easy to ride at my own place, just turn on some horrid cartoon and not a peep from either kid until I come back in and turn OFF the TV!
Oh gee! Mine are five and seven.....it doesn't get better does it???? The whining over the arena fence UGH!!!! Usually just when you are in thinking mode!!! Oh my!!!
     
    01-15-2013, 01:43 AM
  #6
Green Broke
Or fighting over the barn cat! YOWL YOWL YOWL and there they are each hanging onto half and tugging....

Or the lil one decided to "visit" the chickens.... AKA leave the coop door wide open and scare the chickens who came flapping out and landed all over the mare I was lunging!

I'm hot, I'm tired, I'm thirsty, I'm hungry, I hafta go potty!!!
redpony likes this.
     
    01-15-2013, 01:43 AM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfina    
Or fighting over the barn cat! YOWL YOWL YOWL and there they are each hanging onto half and tugging....

Or the lil one decided to "visit" the chickens.... AKA leave the coop door wide open and scare the chickens who came flapping out and landed all over the mare I was lunging!

I'm hot, I'm tired, I'm thirsty, I'm hungry, I hafta go potty!!!
LOL! Oh gee I'm not the only one!!!!
     
    01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
  #8
Green Broke
I swear..... someday when I am ancient and decrepit, I am going to park my wheelchair right outside the arena while THEY are riding and bitch, moan, groan and interrupt them!
     
    01-15-2013, 01:46 AM
  #9
Started
Y'all crack me up!
Posted via Mobile Device
SouthernTrails likes this.
     
    01-15-2013, 01:50 AM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfina    
I swear..... someday when I am ancient and decrepit, I am going to park my wheelchair right outside the arena while THEY are riding and bitch, moan, groan and interrupt them!
Ya!!! Throw your granny diaper into the arena..... and then deliberately forget their names and where you are!!!!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horses & kids busysmurf Horse Pictures 0 05-08-2012 11:14 AM
Kids and Horses ocalagirl Horse Riding 3 12-28-2010 11:01 PM
Little kids and horses! :) omgpink Horse Pictures 14 02-18-2010 06:30 PM
Kids and horses CecilliaB Horse Pictures 6 02-12-2010 02:11 AM
Kids and horses belgianlover Horse Pictures 8 04-20-2009 10:39 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0