Is it about the horse or about the liability??
 
 

       The Horse Forum > The Horse Forum Community > Plus Sized Riders

Is it about the horse or about the liability??

This is a discussion on Is it about the horse or about the liability?? within the Plus Sized Riders forums, part of the The Horse Forum Community category
  • Cruel women horse riders
  • Liability when others ride your horse

Like Tree14Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
  #1
Foal
Is it about the horse or about the liability??

I have seen a lot of post about plus size riders having trouble finding places to ride at. It makes me wonder, are these barns really concerned about their horses or is it more fear of liability? Many people feel just because a person is heavier they have less coordination and therefor are at greater risk of falling... I personally think it is about the liability. Any good quality Quarter Horse can carry a plus size rider all day long with no issues. And many places now have draft cross breeds who definetly wouldn't have an issue!!!

What do you think??
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-01-2012, 12:22 PM
  #2
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecara    
I have seen a lot of post about plus size riders having trouble finding places to ride at. It makes me wonder, are these barns really concerned about their horses or is it more fear of liability? Many people feel just because a person is heavier they have less coordination and therefor are at greater risk of falling... I personally think it is about the liability. Any good quality Quarter Horse can carry a plus size rider all day long with no issues. And many places now have draft cross breeds who definetly wouldn't have an issue!!!

What do you think??
im wondering if this is partially coming from me..lol.. personally I think its a person by person basis.. they can have rules in place but if they know someone they may let the rules slide.. I just don't know anyone.. and with most things it seems its who you know or how much your willing to pay.. it sounds harsh, but I've learned either I take the people telling me no, or what I can't do, or I find someother way to occupy my time, which as time goes on looks like more of a feasable option for me
     
    03-01-2012, 12:47 PM
  #3
Showing
I'd lean towards horses. Liability - not so much. My policy covers anyone who steps foot on my farm.

For me, I don't have a set limit but it is something I consider when talking to prospective clients/students. I mostly give lessons to kids though I do have a couple of adults. The horses I use for lessons are all aged so their backs & joints are a factor. My younger, could carry about anyone horses are my personal horses that don't get used for lessons regardless of size, I put too much time into training for them to be exposed to rider error.
     
    03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
  #4
Super Moderator
I think it's horses. These are lesson horses or trail horses that are being ridden sometimes 4 hours a day (sometimes more depending on the barn). I know my dad was not able to ride a horse in the grand canyon because of his weight but they did offer to let him ride in a wagon.

I actually went to a dude ranch and did a trail ride w/ my sister in law, her daughter is heavier then most teens and this place actually had large, big boned horses (2) that were for larger riders so she got to go on the ride as well...
     
    03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
  #5
Yearling
I feel like its sugarcoated responses for fat people shouldnt ride..lol sorry if that's not how im supposed to take it.. but that's how it sounds to me
     
    03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
  #6
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerscout    
I feel like its sugarcoated responses for fat people shouldnt ride..lol sorry if that's not how im supposed to take it.. but that's how it sounds to me
You sound like you are feeling sensitive. I don't think it has anything to do with "fat people shouldn't ride". I think it has more to do with the fact that these riding facilities are using these horses 4 to 6 hours out of the day. Many facilities have way more students then horses so they they are over booking the animals.

Lesson horses tend to end up with many issues such as arthritis, sore backs and mouths, etc. from the pounding and "abuse" they take from all of the different levels of riders that are on their backs.

Trail barns usually tack the horses up in the AM and send them out on 2 or 3 trails a day.

They are "prejudice" against heavier riders (not fat). They don't general have a rule that says "If your belly hangs over your belt line you aint riding". It's more like weight limit: 250lbs. That would exclude not only out of shape riders but some pretty sexy hot men from a ride just because they are massive. Not fat.

I ride and show horses and there are many riders on the show circuit that are winning pretty high level classes who are fairly hefty. Us women tend to start packing on the pounds once we hit a certain age and so weight is an issue for us. These people happen to own their own horses, which means these horses are only getting ridden 3-5 days a week at 1-2 hours per ride. That's much different then what a lesson horse sees in a day.

So it's fair to say it is a liability excuse and not an anti-fat people campaign.

But I do understand your sensitivity.
kitten_Val and Tianimalz like this.
     
    03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Its the horses. 250lb of novice rider thumping up and down will damage a horses back fairly quickly.

Begginers/novices ride a lot heavier then they actualy are, however a riding school can't tell how novice you are untill after you have ridden and the damage has already been done.

The horses also generaly do at least 4hrs a day 6 days a week.
     
    03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
  #8
Yearling
I mean I understand where everyone is coming from don't get me wrong.. but Im goign to go out and buy a horse, not knowing what im looking for, and not having much experience anymore just for the chance to ride.. I might end up with a basketcase for all I know.. and when I bust my rear end to learn this stuff ahead of time.. I get ridiculed about my weight.. so If I want to ride I have to find someone dumb enough to sell a horse to a green rider so to speak, or buy one from an auction.. and take my luck so hopefully the green on green rule doesent apply
But.. talking to people gets me nowhere.. I get the tons of larger people ride line.. and people can show me pics all day long, or videos.. but the rule is they can.. just not on any horse anyone owns..lol.. so instead of doing the right thing.. I get to be the idiot who buys a green horse, just to ride, or the sick basket case.. as asking to learn is too much apparantly.. so yes its a sensitive subject to me.. not intending to bash anyone or anything, I mean I do understand, but it sucks
     
    03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
  #9
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerscout    
but Im goign to go out and buy a horse, not knowing what im looking for, and not having much experience anymore just for the chance to ride.. I might end up with a basketcase for all I know.. and when I bust my rear end to learn this stuff ahead of time.. I get ridiculed about my weight.. so If I want to ride I have to find someone dumb enough to sell a horse to a green rider so to speak, or buy one from an auction.. and take my luck so hopefully the green on green rule doesent apply
That is never the way to buy a horse regardless of your weight or reason. When a green person goes to look at a horse they take someone who is knowledgeable with them. Someone who knows horses and can not only evaluate the horse but your ability to ride. Someone who will train you to ride your horse.
     
    03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
That is never the way to buy a horse regardless of your weight or reason. When a green person goes to look at a horse they take someone who is knowledgeable with them. Someone who knows horses and can not only evaluate the horse but your ability to ride. Someone who will train you to ride your horse.
sure I'll take someone.. but If I had someone willing to teach me.. I wouldnt be in this boat.. so I don't really know anyone close to me to take.. unless I drive to another state, and figure out a way to get horse home without trailer.. and Im not paying shipping.. im sorry but people tell me all day long that 240 isnt too heavy to ride.. until I try to find something. Then im some cruel jerk who wants to cripple everyones horse.. just no one is willing to prove what they tell me.. that's all im saying
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would be the extent of my liability? vhardima Horse Law 7 10-11-2011 08:24 PM
Commercial Liability Insurance kywalkinghorse2010 Horse Training 0 07-26-2011 08:03 PM
Liability insurance question franknbeans Horse Law 3 09-14-2010 06:51 PM
Liability when riding someone else's horse... RoyalsRebel Horse Riding 8 04-22-2010 09:34 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0