Is it about the horse or about the liability?? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Goat Country
Posts: 1,907
• Horses: 0
Agreed with most of the above. I worked 2 years on a trail riding farm, and it is the horses. Some just simply cannot be expected to carry the weight of some people, especially since we tacked up at 5AM, and didn't get the saddles back off until around 6 that evening. Even with rotating horses, doing this six to five days a week is a lot of work.
However we had larger draft and stocky QH's on the line for the bigger riders, but we still had to be careful about who we booked so that the thinner built horses didn't have to overload.

Farm liabilities (riding farms) usually cover everyone; because lets face it, people fall off. You can try to avoid it all you want, but someone is going to hit the ground eventually. However good trail horses are hard to find, the ones needed where you can throw anyone up and they take care of you... so of course you don't want to ruin that horse by overburdening them and breaking them down WAY before they should. It's just good horse sense.

Horses and riders are matched up on these agendas:

How well we think they'd work together.

How well the horse can carry (comfortably, if possible) the rider.

And what the rider expects from their ride. (We had spunky horses, quiet deadbroke horses, ect. It was a giant puzzle to put together every day)

If you have trouble finding a lesson barn that will accept you; invest in your own horse that can comfortably carry you and take lessons on it. Really, expecting any horse to break its back just because someone wants to play around on it is selfish, and I wouldn't have it. No one over 180 is allowed on my mare; period.
Tianimalz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Scout, learning takes LOTS of time and efforts. I know some very good riders, and they still take a trainer to check on particular horse. Simply because you can miss something, or fall in love and just be silly, etc. Also I haven't seen people turned down from the sale only because of the weight.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
kitten_Val is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Maybe there is more then your weight that is a problem. You are only ~45lb heavier then me and my horse can ride double all day long so it isn't necessarily a weight thing.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: IN a state
Posts: 2,587
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
Maybe there is more then your weight that is a problem. You are only ~45lb heavier then me and my horse can ride double all day long so it isn't necessarily a weight thing.
?? Know maybe so I guess.. must be all me.. my fault I can't make the 150 limit at the barn around me.. everytime I did ride I got a lot of compliments from people.. I am aware of my size and all.. but I guess its just me.. must be the only person my size who has trouble finding something.. Im not saying I would ride a pony.. I know I need a size appropriate horse.. but being mocked for wanting to learn really makes me want to keep looking

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
gingerscout is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerscout View Post
my fault I can't make the 150 limit at the barn around me..
I'm sorry, but I'm having very hard time to believe the limit is 150. Almost every man I know is over that limit, and many females are too. Still noone has problem to take lessons or even lease the horse.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass: it's about learning to dance in the rain..."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves."

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
kitten_Val is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,179
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerscout View Post
?? Know maybe so I guess.. must be all me.. my fault I can't make the 150 limit at the barn around me.. everytime I did ride I got a lot of compliments from people.. I am aware of my size and all.. but I guess its just me.. must be the only person my size who has trouble finding something.. Im not saying I would ride a pony.. I know I need a size appropriate horse.. but being mocked for wanting to learn really makes me want to keep looking
Find another barn or join a riding club. I wouldn't want to ride there anyway if they are mocking you for the way you look.
tinyliny likes this.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm having very hard time to believe the limit is 150. Almost every man I know is over that limit, and many females are too. Still noone has problem to take lessons or even lease the horse.
Then I couldn't ride there or any of my riding partners. Sorry, I don't buy it.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: IN a state
Posts: 2,587
• Horses: 1
ok im done here.. unsubscribing from this thread.. don't need to feel like everyone thinks im some sort of ****** all day

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
gingerscout is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Goat Country
Posts: 1,907
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerscout View Post
ok im done here.. unsubscribing from this thread.. don't need to feel like everyone thinks im some sort of ****** all day
It appeared to me people here were trying to help you by giving advice... but okay.
farmpony84 likes this.
Tianimalz is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,240
• Horses: 2
I think a lot of barns have a weight limit now in a way for liability issues, but not the way you think.

Check out this

Jessica Jahiel's HORSE-SENSE Newsletter Archives
iridehorses and tecara like this.
Golden Horse is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would be the extent of my liability? vhardima Horse Law 7 10-11-2011 08:24 PM
Commercial Liability Insurance kywalkinghorse2010 Horse Training 0 07-26-2011 08:03 PM
Liability insurance question franknbeans Horse Law 3 09-14-2010 06:51 PM
Liability when riding someone else's horse... RoyalsRebel Horse Riding 8 04-22-2010 09:34 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome