Don't focus so much on the number behind the pounds. Rather, focus on small lifestyle changes.
Set small mini goals each week. Actually write them down on an index card, or post it note, or whatever. Just somewhere you can read/see it every day.
Week 1 --> Instead of reaching for a pop, drink a glass of water instead.
Week 2 --> Instead of munching on potato chips while de-stressing and watching TV in the evening, munch on baby carrots.
Week 3 --> Instead of adding salt to your cooking or to your food, add Mrs. Dash salt-free seasoning.
Week 4 --> Eat a spinach salad (using only spritz on salad spray) before your dinner meal.
Then you are easily making just one small change each week, and then build on it.
You didn't put on an extra 25 pounds in one week, did you? Of course not. So you've got to be patient and realistic. Ideally, you should lose only 1 to 2 pounds per week. Therefore, if your long-term goal is to lose 25 pounds, that should take you about 12 weeks (or 3 months). So you are right, it IS a far away goal. But you've got to accept that this sort of change is going to take time and it's going to take dedication.
In general, what you put into your body is 80% of dieting. Exercise only makes up the other 20% (although it is still certainly important). But if you run 25 miles every day, but go Big Macs from McDonalds every day, well you probably aren't going to lose any weight. Diet is key!
Plan to each about 5 or 6 meals a day. You should never go longer than 4 hours without eating something. But keep those meals very small. Doing small meals throughout the day keeps your digestive system running. Always eat breakfast.
When I was really super serious about trimming up for my wedding, here's what a typical day looked like for me.
Breakfast: 1/4 cup whole oatmeal (cooked only with water, and flavored with cinnamon) + protein shake make with water + 1 egg white
Snack: one piece of fruit + 26 unsalted almonds (1 serving)
Lunch: 4 oz lean chicken with Mrs. Dash seasoning + unlimited veggies (peas, carrots, broccoli, etc) + 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
Snack: 4 oz of 4% lean ground beef + veggies
Dinner: 4 oz cooked tilapia fish + veggies
Snack: protein shake made with water
I made sure to drink a ton of water. Rule of thumb: For every 2 pounds you weight, you should drink 1 oz of water. So if you weight 200 pounds, you should drink 100 oz of water per day. Yes, that is a lot. But it is essential to weight loss.
I also made sure to get to the gym every day. I lifted weights for about an hour 3 times a week, and I did cardio 6 days a week. I varied between low-intensity for one hour or high-intensity intervals for 20 minutes.
Extreme schedule, but it gets results. I don't expect anyone to go out there on day one and do that.
And if you have a bad day and cheat on your goal for the week --> So what? At that very moment, pretend you are just waking up and start your day over. Every day is a new day. If you mess up, it's okay, just do better the next day.
∞•*˚ Βгįťţαňγ ˚*•∞
It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.