Not the horse for me...
 
 

       The Horse Forum > The Horse Forum Community > Plus Sized Riders

Not the horse for me...

This is a discussion on Not the horse for me... within the Plus Sized Riders forums, part of the The Horse Forum Community category
  • Worried I will not be able to ride my horse
  • My friend is selling her horses im upset

Like Tree36Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-19-2012, 09:30 PM
  #1
Foal
Unhappy Not the horse for me...

Anyone want to buy a Walking Horse? Sadly it became glaringly obvious that Nala is not the right horse for me. My barn owner volunteered to ride her for me today (I'm just not there yet) and Nala reared up as soon as the woman gathered the reins and asked her to move forward. With my past traumas I know I'll never be able to ride her now.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-19-2012, 10:17 PM
  #2
Showing
Sounds like she has a problem.. are you going to get that fixed or just sell her onto someone else and give them that problem?

Rearing is VERY dangerous. But there may be a reason she rears. Maybe the BO was too rough with her, maybe her teeth need to be floated, maybe the saddle hurts, maybe she isn't sound.

Figure it out, get it fixed, and then find her a home if you aren't comfortable.
     
    05-19-2012, 10:58 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
Sounds like she has a problem.. are you going to get that fixed or just sell her onto someone else and give them that problem?

Rearing is VERY dangerous. But there may be a reason she rears. Maybe the BO was too rough with her, maybe her teeth need to be floated, maybe the saddle hurts, maybe she isn't sound.

Figure it out, get it fixed, and then find her a home if you aren't comfortable.
Rearing is dangerous. Nala's teeth were floated just a few weeks ago, the saddle fit isn't an issue, and she's sound. The BO used the mounting block to mount Nala and with the height of the block and the shortness of Nala all that was required was putting her leg over Nala's back. No weight in the stirrups. The barn owner had just settled in the saddle, slid her feet into the stirrups, and picked up the reins. The reins were still loose. She never even took a step forward, just went straight up.
     
    05-19-2012, 11:08 PM
  #4
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin    
Rearing is dangerous. Nala's teeth were floated just a few weeks ago, the saddle fit isn't an issue, and she's sound. The BO used the mounting block to mount Nala and with the height of the block and the shortness of Nala all that was required was putting her leg over Nala's back. No weight in the stirrups. The barn owner had just settled in the saddle, slid her feet into the stirrups, and picked up the reins. The reins were still loose. She never even took a step forward, just went straight up.
Yeah that sounds like an evasion.. do you know her history?
She wasn't wearing spurs, right?

What happens when you run your hands down the muscles on either side of her spine?

How are her feet?

Pictures would help.
     
    05-19-2012, 11:16 PM
  #5
Yearling
Have you considered sending her to a professional before just selling her? If it's not soundness, it's not the saddle, and it wasn't her teeth or the rider, it's most likely a training issue. What's her past?
Wallaby and Skyseternalangel like this.
     
    05-19-2012, 11:56 PM
  #6
Foal
I don't know her past...and I'm not actually selling her. I was having a down moment because up until today she was doing everything great. On the ground she's perfect and I plan to continue to work with her. The vet will be out on the 29th to check her back.
soenjer55 likes this.
     
    05-19-2012, 11:59 PM
  #7
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin    
I don't know her past...and I'm not actually selling her. I was having a down moment because up until today she was doing everything great. On the ground she's perfect and I plan to continue to work with her. The vet will be out on the 29th to check her back.
Alright well we wish you the best and hope you guys can figure out why she's doing this!
PintoTess likes this.
     
    05-20-2012, 12:04 AM
  #8
Trained
Hey Dixie, I see in your other thread that you are good at and like ground work, and that working with Nala and having her in your life was therapy, well none of that has changed, she will still be a great companion and you can work with her from the ground, you maybe able to help each other to a better place.

I hope you can get to the bottom of her issues and fix it
     
    05-20-2012, 12:09 AM
  #9
Trained
Yeah, I really don't care if the horse's teeth need a float or someone is wearing spurs, I don't care for a horse that regards a rear as reaction to anything. Time to find something to enjoy and be safe with, life is too short.
     
    05-20-2012, 12:14 AM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
Hey Dixie, I see in your other thread that you are good at and like ground work, and that working with Nala and having her in your life was therapy, well none of that has changed, she will still be a great companion and you can work with her from the ground, you maybe able to help each other to a better place.

I hope you can get to the bottom of her issues and fix it
Thanks GH, I do enjoy the ground work. I was very upset earlier because I was worried about my Barn Owner. Ginger has become my friend and she made the offer because she understands the root of my trauma issues. I was worried that she was hurt more than she let on. The has a floating rib from a car accident a few years ago that I didn't know about until after she came off. I told her off about it and she really should have known better...she's a nurse. I'm not giving up on Nala just yet.

Oh...no spurs were not used! Ginger rides her mare in a Bitless Bridle because she doesn't believe in bits...she'd never put spurs on, much less use them. :)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0