The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Rose hips anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/rose-hips-anyone-100073/)

Koolio 10-10-2011 10:46 AM

Rose hips anyone?

While allowing my gelding to graze around the yard yesterday, he spotted a bush full of rose hips. The berries are plump and read and do look quite delicious, but knowing how tart they are to people, I didn't expect him to dive into it and begin feasting. I know rose hips are high in vitamin C and are sometimes fed ground into a powder as a joint and immune system supplement. Are they safe to feed raw, right off the plant? We have had a few frosts here now, so the leaves are almost gone and the berries are well ripened. Since Sam loved them so much and he's an old guy with a little arthritis, I am wondering if I should go and pick a bunch to feed him over the winter? Also, does anyone know what kind of "dose" would be safe / appropriate for a horse, or even if you can feed enough to be therapeutic?

caseymyhorserocks 11-08-2011 10:27 PM

I have heard rosehips are good for horse joints. And yes, fresh rosehips are fine. You can freeze them to save them for the rest of winter! 1-2 handfuls is a good amount for fresh rosehips, but 15-20g of dried. The amount should be halved for ponies. Feeding to much can cause diarrhea, because of to much ascorbic acid content. Apparently, another option is to plant them in your horse's pasture, so they can choose how much they can eat, and it sounds like Sam did that!

Saddlebag 11-08-2011 10:33 PM

Wild roses are very thorny and are inclined to grow on nutrient poor soil. The hips are very high in vitamin C and usually an infusion is made or jelly. The hips are full of seeds so it takes a large number for a very small yield.

Druydess 11-08-2011 10:35 PM

Rose hips are very nutritious as a supplement for equines and humans alike...moderate intake is suggested as a previous poster stated..

Saddlebag 11-08-2011 10:36 PM

Kiilio, what I do is throw a fresh cut poplar log in the pasture. The horses will chew it like beaver for the acetacalicylic acid (sp? lol) in the bark. If they have poplar to chew on they often leave the fence alone.

loosie 11-14-2011 12:50 AM

Myboys love them & I pick them to feed as treats!