The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Reducing board without being obnoxious? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/reducing-board-without-being-obnoxious-100089/)

laughing 10-10-2011 03:01 PM

Reducing board without being obnoxious?

There's this facility I have just loved since I was 13 years old. (In college now.) I'm finally going to be getting my own horse and will be paying every cent. Since I AM a college student and only work part time, I need to cut expenses as much as possible.

This place is someone's backyard. One large tack room accomadates everyone. The whole property is only about 2 acres. There is a single wash rack, round pen, and good size pasture. All horses get rotated on pasture. Then there is a quality arena. All of this I have full access to. Stalls are 12 x 24 so very large. It isn't fancy, not a 'show' barn, but the ONLY place with spacious stalls (most are 12 x 12) and actual turn-out. I love that. Stalls are fully covered.

The board is 250$ a month with hay, full care, and full access to the whole facility. I would appreciate it to be 150-175$ a month. I would do self care, and could even do chores around the facility. (Turn out horses, bring them in, scrub out water buckets, help feed, etc.) I am also not using them as a trainer, but rather my friend, as she is more experienced and is helping me finish my horse for free and offering me lessons at 15$ for an hour. (I do hunters (flat) and competing, they are more Western. Plus, lessons there are 40$ for 45 mins.)
?
How do I ask for this and get it without being obnoxious? I don't want to be that petty/mooching horse owner that is aggravating. I just want the best at the most reasonable cost and willing to work for it. I want to volunteer there for a couple months before I get my horse. Do you think this will lay the 'foundation'?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

LetAGrlShowU 10-10-2011 03:05 PM

IMO, in my neck of the woods, feeding your horse grain and hay and caring for it would exceed the $175/mo you wish to pay. Plus if there is no profit for the property owner, whats the reason for her to board? I used to pay $500 for full board. $175 in my area gets you pasture board, and am feeding but you buy feed and hay. Keep that in mind

riccil0ve 10-10-2011 03:07 PM

I would just say that you really like the facility and are wondering if you can work off some of your board [although I wouldn't put in a dollar amount]. No reason to make it complicated. If they get offended, the people are far too sensitive anyway, lol.

laughing 10-10-2011 03:12 PM

I am guessing my post wasn't very clear. The 175$ is for the stall and the hay. Hay is about 70$ a month but much cheaper if you bulk, which this place does. So the cost of hay is about 50$. So paying just for the stall is 125$. The facility won't be paying supplements, grain, bedding, etc. I am also wanting to work that off. Not just have it handed to me because I feed, groom, muck, etc my own horse.

I'd be willing to 7 hours a week for this person (totaling about 30 hours a month) in exchange for that extra 75$ off per month. As I said mucking the other stalls, feeding, whatever. If a few days a week she'd like me to muck all the stalls with mine or help feed when I am out there I'm fine with that, too, instead of specific hours.

The question is basically getting lower board while benefitting the barn owner. I hope that clears some things up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 10-10-2011 03:12 PM

You most certainly can ask if they'll do reduced board for work. If they say no, then they say no.

You're not really doing them any favors by adding another horse to their barn. IF they're looking for help and agree to your suggestion, just make sure you don't flake out on your duties.

laughing 10-10-2011 03:14 PM

Do I just flat out ask, or is there a nice, not mooch-y way to?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 10-10-2011 03:16 PM

Just ask in a friendly way. Like "Hey, I love this barn and I was wondering if I could work off some board?" or something less awkward than that...

riccil0ve 10-10-2011 03:17 PM

What I said still applies. Ask them if you can work off some of the board. It's as simple as that.

laughing 10-10-2011 03:24 PM

Here's another... do you ask over the phone while discussing, or tour the facility FIRST, then bring it up?
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 10-10-2011 03:38 PM

I would tour and ask in person.