The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I think my mom's dog is dying? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/i-think-my-moms-dog-dying-100093/)

SRich 10-10-2011 04:14 PM

I think my mom's dog is dying?

My mom owns a small mutt that has been shaking the last couple of days. I just heard about it yesterday. He also yelps in pain once in awhile. My mom wont take him to the vet because of money. We barely are making it with the economy the way it is. My mom has to also see a doctor for serious problems but can't because of it. I don't know what to do about the dog. I love him so much. He is about 10 years old and my mom told me that she doesn't think he will make it. My mom's boyfriend used to be a rancher so he is used to death in animals and doesn't seem to care. I have no money. I'm 17 and broke. I'm crying as I type this because I don't know what I can do. My mom texted me saying this is how it is for the poor. I don't even live at home. I live with my gram. I just want to take the dog and atleast let the dog live peacefully. There is no way I can afford the vet. I told my sisters to give the dog some aspirin, so I hope that he will get better. Does anyone have any advice for me? Everyone is probably going to bash me, which I really don't need. I just want the dog to be fine and he's not. I feel really guilty, but there is nothing I can really do. My gram is picking me up soon and I want to take the dog with me, but she probably wont let me.

Speed Racer 10-10-2011 04:23 PM

If your mother can't or won't take the dog to a vet, it probably will wind up dying. Your taking it won't do anything except have it die somewhere else, unless your grandmother is willing to shell out the money for a vet visit.

Instead of just letting nature take its cruel course, maybe your mother's BF could put the dog out of its misery. That would be better than letting it continue to suffer.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but the dog needs to see a vet or be put down. Letting him continue to hurt is willful cruelty, poor or not.

LetAGrlShowU 10-10-2011 04:27 PM

Unfortunately Speed Racer may be right, if the dog is obviously in pain. If he is not, then let him die in his home. I am sorry you are deeling with this. Its not easy to lose a pet/ a friend.
Times are hard and as much as I hate seeing how many dogs end up in the pound or homeless, its people who own pets and dont care for them that make me mad. Its not fair to the dog.

SRich 10-10-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1196768)
If your mother can't or won't take the dog to a vet, it probably will wind up dying. Your taking it won't do anything except have it die somewhere else, unless your grandmother is willing to shell out the money for a vet visit.

Instead of just letting nature take its cruel course, maybe your mother's BF could put the dog out of its misery. That would be better than letting it continue to suffer.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but the dog needs to see a vet or be put out of his misery. Letting him continue to hurt is cruel.

But what if it the dog get's better? The dog used to hang out with me all of the time. I can't let that dog die alone on the floor. :-(

ETA- My sister just called me. He barfed. I'm literally in tears right now.

riccil0ve 10-10-2011 04:30 PM

Do you really want to make the dog suffer on a "what if?" If you don't take it to a vet, there's no way to know if he'll get better. Better two weeks too early than a day too late.

LetAGrlShowU 10-10-2011 04:36 PM

The dog is 10. Even on the best case scenario he has 2 years left. but my guess is his care hasnt been top notch because money is tight. You can let the dog remain uncomfortable and die in his home. Just make sure he has some warm blanket to lay on and go see him to keep him company until he passes. But if he shows any signs like vomitting blood, blood in his stool, or doesnt get up to go to the bathroom- i'd say the best thing you can do is put him down.

Speed Racer 10-10-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRich (Post 1196772)
But what if it the dog get's better?

How long are you willing to make him suffer before you figure out he's not going to get better?

If he's been shaking and whining in pain for days now, it's rather foolish to hope he'll just miraculously get better on his own.

I know what it's like to lose a beloved animal. Either man up and find the money to take that dog to the vet, or put him out of his misery. Anything less is inexcusable.

I know it's not your dog, but you brought it to our attention. On a BB full of responsible animal lovers did you really expect any of us to say, 'Oh, just give him loves and hugs, and everything will be all right.'

equiniphile 10-10-2011 04:40 PM

Your putting him to sleep will be much kinder than letting him suffer a long, painful death. For the dog's sake, please put him out of his misery.

SRich 10-10-2011 04:52 PM

I talked with my mom. He is seeing the vet tomorrow and we will decide if he needs to be put to sleep. He barfed again and walked over to his food dish and ate.

LetAGrlShowU 10-10-2011 04:54 PM

That was very mature of you. I wish all the best for your family and your dog.