The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Heart Horse, how do you know?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/heart-horse-how-do-you-know-100102/)

Golden Horse 10-10-2011 06:27 PM

Heart Horse, how do you know??

I've often wondered about this, what is the difference between just a horse and a heart horse?? A question especially for those who are lucky like me to own more than one horse.

Why the question now, well we currently have 3 big horses, 4 adult Haffies, 2 yearling Haffies, one haffy colt, and two crossbred colts.

That is a lot of horse flesh and for many reasons I find myself having to seriously contemplate having to cut down, and by quite a bit. That involves making decisions who will be listed and who is safe, and I'm quite surprised to find who makes what list. Ones that I thought would be on my keep list, I could actually bear to list, and there are those who make me cry at the thought of selling.

It came as a total shock to me that one mare who I always thought would be one of my first to go if this day ever came is firmly on the couldn't bear to part with her list....because she has gone from a mare who hated or was indifferent to everyone, to one who follows me around the whole time, if I'm working with someone else she finds noisy things to do, flipping the latch on the gate, pushing the water tub around, anything to get attention.

It came as no shock to me that Ace and Angel are at the top of my keepers list:wink:

Question is do you have your heart horse, and how do you know so?

Tianimalz 10-10-2011 06:36 PM

Thats an interesting question...

I asked it to one of my friends, and we both agreed. It's just a "click"
And really it's harder to explain past that. When I first went out to get my first horse, I looked through the herd without touching anyone, and mingled in there was a little bay filly... something just *clicked* and I fell head over heels for her. She was extremely shy and not a people horse at all at first... but when I went to go leave the pasture I looked back and she had taken a few steps closer with her full attention on me... not in a nervous way, but just interested.

I guess something just feels right when you meet that special horse, it really is like falling in love in it's own special way. You just *know* that's the horse, and everything seems easier because there is some kind of silent bond you have with the animal.

Sorry for the novel, I could go on for ages. But I never clicked with any other horse than Indie... and my best advice is to just take each horse out and listen to your heart and go from there.

Good luck!! Sounds like a touch choice.

Cruiser 10-10-2011 07:20 PM

It is hard to answer, you just know. As soon as I seen Mooney I knew she was the one, it didn't matter if I could ride her or the fact she was jumpy, or she was nervous. I knew something about her, just took my breath away. The two years I had the got to keep her there was never a moment when Mooney didn't trust me, or she didn't let me lean on her when I needed someone. When she died I may has well lost my left arm, she had been my medication for the days getting up was hard all she asked with for food, water and her ears to be scratched. I can get by with out her but it is harder.

You just know.

Sahara 10-10-2011 07:28 PM

I don't think it is as simple as "you just know", at least in my experience. If that were the case, I would still have my gelding that I was completely in love with. Yet, no matter how much I loved him, I wasn't the right rider for him. The best thing I could do for him was to put him in much more capable hands and focus on the ones that I could handle.

Had I not sold that gelding, I never would have focused so intently on the little throw away mare standing out in my pasture. Yet, how tickled was I to discover the wonderful personality and willingness in this little, bull-dog of a Paint. Sometimes, they just grow on you.

ETA: Sometimes you don't know until you are faced with the idea of losing them. Sahara has given me two huge scares in the last 7 years. Both times I had to seriously contemplate the idea that our time together was going to be way to short. If anything happened to her, it would take a very long time for me to be able to look at another horse with as much excitement and joy.

Cat 10-10-2011 07:37 PM

As you know - Toby my haflinger is very important to me. He's been in my life for 9 years now and he is my baby. I couldn't stand the thought of ever losing him - even when he has thoroughly aggravated me I would not seriously consider giving him up - even if I do threaten him with the dog food factory on occasion. :wink: Seriously though - I'll put up and work through a lot more from him than I'm willing with other horses I've had in the past.

But...

There is just something different between me and Rascal. He kept drawing me towards him from the first time I saw him and he still tugs on me in a different way than my other horses ever did. There is just something special there and I don't know how to explain it other than that.

God help me if I ever had to decide between the two to sell one.

Endiku 10-10-2011 07:38 PM

I always thought that a 'heart horse' was a horse that could always read your mind...like in the books, where when you're riding, it knows what you want before you even tell it, and that would do anything for you.

Now though, I have a totally different idea of a heart horse. You probably know atleast a little about Sour; and how she's notorious for her agressive behavior and difficulty. Working with her though, theres something that sets her apart from all of the other horses for me.

She's not a spectacular horse. She's chestnut, like 99.99% of the horse population, doesn't have perfect conformation, doesn't have that 'will do anything for you' attitude, and quite frankly- she sees no need for people. Everyone else dislikes her at best...except me.

The only way I can describe it is that SHE is my heart horse. We don't have this amazing 'I would die for you' bond, but we have this unexplainable connection. She DOES read my mind sometimes, or it seems that way. She just happens to act on the things I don't want her to do most of the time xD

She knows when I'm impatient, or upset, and acts accordingly. I'm the only one she'll really listen to, but I'm the one she'll argue with the most. I guess its kind of like that 'best friend' relationship. You have your misunderstandings, but you'd never give eachother up. I'd keep her over any well trained horse, any day.

Poco1220 10-10-2011 07:40 PM

Before Poco I had a terrific appy Kate. She was gorgeous, had great bloodlines, was always perfecty mannered, just a total dream to deal with constantly. Poco was a pushy paint stud who needed a firm hand and was really only trustworthy with me at the time. I didn't have time for 2 so I sold the mare.

I've loved Poco since the day I met him and we always worked well together. I've never doubted him and he's never refused anything I've asked of him. I paid WAY more for him than I should have but have always said it was worth it. I rode him a few years before I could afford him but I'll keep him forever.

PS: as of today Ive officially owned Poco for 3 years :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 10-10-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara (Post 1196942)
I don't think it is as simple as "you just know", at least in my experience. If that were the case, I would still have my gelding that I was completely in love with. Yet, no matter how much I loved him, I wasn't the right rider for him. The best thing I could do for him was to put him in much more capable hands and focus on the ones that I could handle.

You see that's how i feel about Fancy, I love her, always have, always was on my short list, by she doesn't want to do what I want, and I don't feel like I'm her person. I want her to go to someone who clicks with her, and sadly it's not me.

Cruiser 10-10-2011 07:46 PM

What i meant had nothing to do with how much you love the horse, in the since of ability or color or conformation. Not even personality. Maybe your right Sahara, some times, you don't know unless your faced with losing them.

Whisper22 10-10-2011 07:56 PM

I think a "heart horse" can mean different things for different people. All I needed was knowing that Whisper enjoyed my company. She showed it in a way that melted my heart. Knowing her since she was a baby didn't hurt either. Riding her didn't even matter to me, she had my heart from the very beginning.

Persia on the other hand, as beautiful as she was, was not heart horse material for me. I loved her, but didn't feel that love from her in return.

Selling both of them was difficult, but the sale of Whisper still bothers me sometimes. Now I have Sky, and while she not quite like Whisper, she's definitely not a Persia either. I think she has a lot of potetntial, and something my other 2 didn't have, and that is a connection with me as a rider.