The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   need advice on blankets and splints (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-advice-blankets-splints-100108/)

Natbos 10-10-2011 07:11 PM

need advice on blankets and splints

first question is about winter blankets.... what does everyone suggest canvas or nylon? and how heavy? i'v never had to buy a winter blanket cause we always lived in southern california but now we live in utah and usually have about 2 or more feet of snow on the ground all winter and we also live in a area that gets alot of wind with it. she is 22. winter it setting in and we've had some awful rain/hale storms lately, as of right now she has no shelter, but hopefully we will have a lean-to build in the next 2 weeks. so i need info on what to look for in a winter blanket.....that would meet our needs, I'm also going to be looking for used any pointers........

second question is on splints, lately she has been cutting her hind fetlocks when we ride.... we get home and she's nicked and bleeding, lately its been every time we've gone out. so would some regular splints work on the hind legs or is there a better solution.

Klassic Superstar 10-10-2011 07:16 PM

I owuld go to Dover saddlery they have great blankets, sounds like you need a heavy waight esp since she is older. International blankets are great qauilty!!

AS for splint boots, any splint boots will work for you it sounds like.
Good luck

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-10-2011 07:20 PM

StormShieldŽ 1680D EURO EXTREME Turnouts in Euro Fit at Schneider Saddlery

This is my favorite winter blanket. I've found it fits the best and lasts the longest and washes up like new. For a 22 year old who will be outside with only a lean to type shelter, I'd probably buy a fleece liner, medium weight & heavy weight blankets so you can switch them around, layer them and change them out when wet.

For the legs, I'd just wrap her legs in polo wraps before a ride. Cheap and protects the areas you're talking about getting nicked as well as giving support.

kitten_Val 10-10-2011 09:50 PM

I believe (I may be wrong though) one has to know how to use polo wraps. Splint boots is the fastest way to go. I don't use them on trails personally, but always use in ring to protect from the hoofs. I have Woof brushing boots from Dover. Although any no-name brand would work too (I keep cheap no-name in my trailer for lessons).

Natbos 10-12-2011 12:51 PM

they seam to sell a lot of canvas blankets here in utah on the classifieds sites and stuff, is canvas a good waterproof blanket?

Delfina 10-12-2011 01:08 PM

I personally can't stand canvas blankets. They aren't completely waterproof, they are heavy and stiff. My horse HATED them as well.

crimsonsky 10-12-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1198599)
I personally can't stand canvas blankets. They aren't completely waterproof, they are heavy and stiff. My horse HATED them as well.

ditto for sure. i had a canvas blanket once... used it just long enough to get a different turnout and then gave it away.

i say go with a cheap pair of splint boots for your horse. safe and easy for anyone to use.