The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Art Journal... I guess (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/art-journal-i-guess-100193/)

Roperchick 10-11-2011 09:34 PM

Art Journal... I guess

1 Attachment(s)
I havnt really drawn alot in the past couple months, army doesnt really like me having "free time" but heres one Ive been TRYing to work on...

lilruffian 10-12-2011 07:56 PM

I like the shape of the legs and nice clean lines. The only thing i would suggest right off is to make the head a tad bigger. Other than that i say keep at it!

Roperchick 10-14-2011 02:34 AM

Haha thanks yeah I didn't notice it til you pointed it out but it does look like it has a peanut sized head:lol:

flytobecat 10-14-2011 02:45 AM

Ditto what LR said.
A couple tips.
Thicker lines appear closer to you. So to give a drawing more depth try using a tad thicker line for things in the foreground and a little thinner line for things far away.
Also, try looking at your drawing in a mirror when you are finished. It will give you a different perspective and you will be able to notice what things are off like the proportions & such.

Roperchick 12-31-2011 03:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
heres a new one ive been working on. i hardly EVER have time to work on them and that old one got lost somewhere

tinyliny 12-31-2011 04:24 PM

YOur understanding of the porportion of thehrose is good, in the body, but the head needs to be quite a bit larger.

IN the second drawing it's a bit confusing spatially how the horses fit together. The one on the left must be slightly in front of the other because the right hand one's leg is kind of going under the body of the left hand one. Just a bit odd there. I think it's because the left hand one's left foreleg is not going back into the page as it should . YOu have to use more foreshortening.
Do you know how to draw and use foreshortening? This is really hard to do but it makes things look like they are going straght back away from you or running straight toward you. It takes really looking at the image you are drawing from , if you are drawing from an image, and measuring mentally how long line appear,not how long they are in reality.

For example, the foreleg is actually about an inch lone perhaps when drawn from the side (in the scale you are drawing, ok?) but if you are looking at that leg from the frontish side angle, that inch becomes a half inch or less, depending on how much in front you are.

so, that front leg needs to be shortened to make it be in line with the rest of the body.

If you are doing these from your head, then I would say that you are doing a bang up job and just doing more and more will help you to slowly correct things that don't quite read right.
horses in movement are very challenging to draw.