The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Palomino colours? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/palomino-colours-100223/)

apachewhitesox 10-12-2011 06:18 AM

Palomino colours?

3 Attachment(s)
What shades can be classed as palomino? My horses are in the middle of losing their winter coats. Sammy who is palomino has started shedding out to this really dark colour. In the first picture there are a few dark patches which is what the big patch in the second picture started out as. When I went out to the paddock I thought Apache had bitten him and he had a big chunk of hair missing but it is just really dark hair that almost looks brown.

I have over the past few months added a few things to his diet which I have been told could make him darker in colour. But could it make him go that much darker?

Attachment 76759

Attachment 76760

Also this was him last summer for reference.
Attachment 76761

Chiilaa 10-12-2011 06:52 AM

For being classed as a palomino genetics wise? One cream gene and two red ones. Palomino can express from really light, so light it will get mistaken for grey or cremello, and all the way through to a horse that looks black in some seasons.

Light:
http://colorgenetics.info/equine_gal...9c8692574a6a0a

Dark:
http://www.silverdapplemorgansprojec...tsciscokid.jpg

As for registering/showing, well that is up to the registry, and is probably something stupid like "three shades lighter or darker than a newly minted gold coin" *sigh*

apachewhitesox 10-12-2011 07:10 AM

Ok so he can look kind of brown (like it looks like in the pictures) and he can still be genetically palomino but he probably couldn't be registered as one.

Chiilaa 10-12-2011 07:23 AM

Give the Australian palomino society a call. They probably would, he is clearly pally.

apachewhitesox 10-12-2011 07:31 AM

I have thought of calling them because I have just about no idea of his past. If he is registered in any way I have no idea. I wouldn't try registering until I had extra money to do it though.

Red Gate Farm 10-12-2011 12:12 PM

From the Australian Palimino Horse Association Page

Australian Palomino Horse Associations Inc

A palomino horse or pony must have a body colour of a newly minted gold coin. It may vary to three shades lighter or darker of the colour range prescribed by the society. A palomino must have a mane and tail of white, silver or ivory with no more than 15% of dark or chestnut hair in either the mane or tail. The palomino must not have spots or patches of black, white, brown or chestnut hair exceeding four (4) square centimetres. The body shall be free of imperfections and only white markings are permitted on the face and legs (except of caused by scald or accident). Markings appearing above the knee and hocks must be of a continuous diminishing spear or at the Classifiers discretion. There shall be no dorsal stripe or barring and the basic colour of the skin shall be dark. Eyes shall be dark and the same colour. Full body clipping is allowable but natural coat is preferred and no other interference to the natural coat is permissable.
When being presented for classification the mane must be not less than ten (10) centimetres in length and the horse/pony should be in a clean and tidy condition.
The palomino horse/pony must be a good representative of the Breed it represents and be of a Saddle Type.
Basic genetics relating to Palominos
  1. There is no such thing as a 'throwback'.
  2. Dominant genes will overrule recessive genes that may remain hidden.
  3. All genes and factors exist in pairs.
  4. There are two basic colours - Bay and Chestnut.
  5. Factors work on these colours to alter them to buckskin, palomino, dunn, grey, tobiano, overo, roan etc
  6. Bay is dominant over chestnut. Therefore if a horse carries both bay and chestnut genes it will look bay.
  7. Black and brown are variations of bay.
  8. The same modifier that alters bay to black works on chestnut to change it to liver chestnut.
If 'B' is the Bay gene and 'b' is the Chestnut gene bb = chestnut Bb = bay (heterozygous ie 2 different genes) BB = bay (homozygous ie 2 identical genes)
(Homozygous bays do not contain 'b' and therefore will never have a chestnut foal).

NdAppy 10-12-2011 01:06 PM

The basic genetic there makes my head hurt.

There are two base colors. Black and red, NOT bay and red. Bay is a modification of black. Black and brown are NOT modifications of bay. A black CAN produce a red based foal if they are heterozygous. There is no modifier that makes a bay turn black/turn a horse liver chestnut.

That is just another shinning example as to why I never go off of what a registry says a horse is.

Red Gate Farm 10-12-2011 01:09 PM

I don't agree with that part either, but if she wants to register him with the Australian Palomino Horse Association, she should know what their criteria for "palomino" is :wink:

Chiilaa 10-12-2011 01:20 PM

I knew they were the ones with the newly minted gold coin crap. I love Australia, we can be so backwards *facepalm*

apachewhitesox 10-12-2011 03:27 PM

Yes it looks like we can be backwards. Thanks for putting that up, I wasn't really sure about that.