The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   English Riding (/english-riding/)
-   -   What is two point?? (

LadyNeigh 10-12-2011 09:10 AM

What is two point??
I'm guessing its just standing in the stirrups...though that doesn't sound right...

And *mental block* theres something which I think people do in trot where you sit for a few strides then rise for a few, sit, rise, etc...posting is it called???
Argh im rubbish
Thanks all who reply!!

LadyNeigh 10-12-2011 09:16 AM

No wait is two point jumping postiton?? I dumb :P

jinxremoving 10-12-2011 12:36 PM

"The two-point or half seat is achieved by bending forward at the hips, taking most of the weight in your ankles and heels. Your back is straight with your seat just off the saddle."

Picture: Two-Point Position

... and you're thinking of posting trot also known as rising trot. You basically rise out of the seat every other stride. So you sit one stride then rise the other, on the correct diagonal of course. :)

VelvetsAB 10-12-2011 04:25 PM

The two point position is used for jumping, but can also be used to help with balance, or get weight off the horses back. You only have two points of contact with the saddle...which is your left and right leg. (A three point would be leg-butt-leg). It is mainly an English style of riding.

You are describing an excercise within the posting trot, that some riders do to help get them better at recognizing which diagonal they are on.

LadyNeigh 10-13-2011 11:46 AM

Ahh...I knew what rising trot was- didn't know that posting was another name!! And thanks with the two point seat!

All Shook Up 10-16-2011 05:11 PM

Two point is jumping or galloping position allowing the horse his mouth and back. The main idea is to bend forward at your hips and reach forward up the horse's neck, giving him rein. Galloping position is slightly different as you do bend as far forward, and keep a little more rein contact. It is sometimes referred to as "three-point" and is seen doing a hand-gallop, or controlled gallop. You want to keep your heels down, but NEVER stand in your stirrups.

Posting, also called rising trot, is going up and forward with your seat in the two beat rhythm of a horse's trot. A well-practiced posting trot can be done without stirrups (again, you shouldn't use your stirrups to rise) you should use your thighs. Hope this helps!!! :)

Galloping position/three-point: Redirect Notice

Jumping Position/half seat/two point: Redirect Notice

Sunny 10-16-2011 05:19 PM

Everyone is going to tell you something different for these, as everyone is taught different.

To me::

Two-point is what you usually see over fences or when galloping. There are two points of contact(both feet), hence the name. You are out of the saddle and bent at your hips.

Three-point, also called full seat, is "normal" riding position. There are three points of contact, both feet and your seat.

Half seat is in between two- and three- point. It is commonly seen between fences in hunters. Your feet are in the stirrups and you are slightly raised out of the seat. For lack of a better term, your crotch is sort of "grazing" the saddle.

Like others have said, once you understand the basics and rhythm of posting, the motion will come from your thighs and not your feet. I think of it as a forward-back motion as opposed to up-down.
Posted via Mobile Device

corporate pride 10-18-2011 10:37 PM

ilikehorses95 10-30-2011 10:04 AM

the position your suppose to go in when your jumping in Eventing/Jumper (two and a half point hunter)

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome