The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Clinton Anderson fundamentals (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/clinton-anderson-fundamentals-100229/)

Annie54 10-12-2011 10:51 AM

Clinton Anderson fundamentals

Hey I have a 10 year old spotted saddle horse and we are so in tune with each other just after 3 months. I'm wondering if the Clinton Anderson fundamentals would be best to further our relationship and skill... It just seems like a lot of what I do with my tack is different being she's gaited. I'm not sure if any "method" is good for a gaited horse. Like the reins he uses... Not sure if I would like the reins so loose and flapping around with her different gaited.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 10-12-2011 02:24 PM

If things are so good, why do you seek something different? A person doesn't have to have a program to follow to work well with a horse. I mean, you are apparently doing things right, all on your own.

But, I guess if you wanted to do some of the ground work stuff, it doesnt' matter what type of horse you have, it's a horse, and the ground work stuff is designed to work for any horse.

I dont' do CA. I have only watched a few minutes of his videos. Don't really have any opinion pro or con. But a lot of people sure think he's great.

Annie54 10-12-2011 02:54 PM

Anybody can improve. We are in tune with each other as in I can tell what she's about to do and she seems to know what I'm gonna do. I want to learn more. I can't teach her if I don't know how to my self. I can back her up and side pass. That's all. I want to be able to do many different things. I want to eventually get her to do many things with less cue. This is why I'm wondering if Clinton Anderson's fundamentals is a good starting point.
Posted via Mobile Device

RookieReiner 10-14-2011 06:21 AM

Some of his tools can be useful but it is not good to only follow one trainer and spend a ton of money on his videos, you could spend the money on a trainer and learn hands on ( your brain will retain more information that way) use many different trainers tools, even youtube there are tons of how tos that way you can try different methods and see what suits you and your horse best

Joe4d 10-14-2011 10:15 AM

Check out Gary Lane, he specializes in gaited horses, mostly trail rides and obstacles.

4MyHorses 10-16-2011 05:33 PM

I like Clinton Anderson and I actually started my horse, using his old video, "Starting Colts Under Saddle." This was the first horse I'd ever started and I was in my early 50s! I got as far as having my husband pony me around an indoor arena and then I took Smokey to a trainer who told me she was very impressed with the results. Clinton is popular for a reason and he even has a DVD for gaited horses. Check his website. I also like Parelli and he has a slightly different approach. Parelli is into figuring out "horsenalities" (which is fun) and using that as part of his training program. He is more cerebral and slow, but you can become a member for around $10/month and get loads of good information, which includes online videos, files you can download and a pretty good forum group.

I've also started doing clicker training and I LOVE it. It's a great way of reinforcing what you are already doing or helping with problems you might be running into. For instance I made huge improvements with my mare that does not like to load onto a trailer. In fact, I had trouble keeping her off of it using the clicker.

Winter is coming so my horse activities slow down, but this is something I can work on in their stalls or the barn isle. You are only limited by your imagination and there are plenty of websites, books and DVDs available. Check out Amazon for books (and great reviews). The one I like the most is "Getting to Yes."

I think it's great that you want to learn more. Good for you!