The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Washington International Horse Show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/washington-international-horse-show-100254/)

kitten_Val 10-12-2011 03:19 PM

Washington International Horse Show

Washington International Horse Show

I wonder if anyone is going... :)

Speed Racer 10-12-2011 03:23 PM

I used to go every year as a spectator, when it really WAS an International show and had a large variety of breeds represented.

I saw ZsaZsa Gabor on her TWH one year, as well as William Shatner on his beloved Saddlebred stallion. Oh, and Elizabeth Taylor, but she wasn't riding, she was a passenger in a horse drawn buggy. :D

kitten_Val 10-12-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1198723)
I used to go every year as a spectator, when it really WAS an International show and had a large variety of breeds represented.

I saw ZsaZsa Gabor on her TWH one year, as well as William Shatner on his beloved Saddlebred stallion. Oh, and Elizabeth Taylor, but she wasn't riding, she was a passenger in a horse drawn buggy. :D

Cool! I don't go every year, but I'm thinking about this time - wanna see GP. BTW, I remember they used to have western disciplines there too (like barrel racing), but not lately. Wonder why.

Speed Racer 10-12-2011 03:30 PM

Yep, now it's turned into pretty much just jumping, which is a bummer.

They not only had WP classes back in the day including team penning, they also had Arabian costume classes.

The puissance was one I always wanted to see, so I'd get tickets for that particular night.

kitten_Val 10-12-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1198736)
The puissance was one I always wanted to see, so I'd get tickets for that particular night.

I went to that one last time. It was exciting.

Interesting enough they don't have dressage anymore either. Indeed just jumping. I wonder if it's because of lack of interest or what? I'd think it's not hard to find good dressage folks (or barrel racing, or pole bending, or any other discipline). At least it's never been an issue at the Expo.

DraftyAiresMum 10-13-2011 01:27 AM

Dang! I'd love to go! It is always this time of year? If so, maybe I can treat myself for my birthday next year...

kitten_Val 10-13-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1199250)
Dang! I'd love to go! It is always this time of year? If so, maybe I can treat myself for my birthday next year...

Yes, it's always once/year, in Oct. :)

Speed Racer 10-13-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1199017)
Interesting enough they don't have dressage anymore either. Indeed just jumping. I wonder if it's because of lack of interest or what? I'd think it's not hard to find good dressage folks (or barrel racing, or pole bending, or any other discipline). At least it's never been an issue at the Expo.

Hard to say, Val. I don't know why they turned it into just this huge jumping show. It's a shame really, considering what it used to be. :?

I was there as a helper the year the Black Stallion movie came out. They did a whole big extravaganza for that. Met Kelly Reno and of course Cass Ole, who played the Black in the movies. He was quite a lovely, personable horse. Very petite, as Arabians were back in the 1970s-1980s.

It was pretty hilarious in back of the arena when they brought in camels for the Black Stallion portion of the show. The TBs and WBs were going nuts, and all the Arabs just looked at them like, 'Man, those are some FUGLY horses! They smell weird, too.' :rofl:

farmpony84 10-13-2011 09:10 AM

A friend of mine go's for local day every year and then a couple others go on barn night but I've never been...

We should all load our horses up and go! Riley does knick the trot pole though and we haven't gone over anything higher then about 6 inches but I think we can kick them butts!

kitten_Val 10-13-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1199431)
Hard to say, Val. I don't know why they turned it into just this huge jumping show. It's a shame really, considering what it used to be. :?

I was there as a helper the year the Black Stallion movie came out. They did a whole big extravaganza for that. Met Kelly Reno and of course Cass Ole, who played the Black in the movies. He was quite a lovely, personable horse. Very petite, as Arabians were back in the 1970s-1980s.

It was pretty hilarious in back of the arena when they brought in camels for the Black Stallion portion of the show. The TBs and WBs were going nuts, and all the Arabs just looked at them like, 'Man, those are some FUGLY horses! They smell weird, too.' :rofl:

Wow! It does sound different indeed! I do think they have to bring more people, horses, and disciplines in, or they may loose the crowd eventually.

Terrier races are hilarious though - I always enjoy them. Last time I went for whatever reason half of doggies didn't follow the "fox", but spread in all different directions like a peas. The crowd was rolling laughing while the owners, helpers, and the vet run around tried to catch those little buggers.