The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   weanling care (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weanling-care-100336/)

jannette 10-13-2011 01:08 PM

weanling care

at what age is it safe to release your weinling into "the herd"???? we have 6 mth old colt we have had since july...we have him in round pen that connects to a stall off the barn currently but would like him to be able to roam with our other horses (all mares, but not brood mares)...just dont want to send him to the wolves sorta speak before he is ready:D

luckydog 11-15-2011 01:44 AM

Hi Jannette, I have a 5 1/2 month old who was weaned a month ago, she is my first foal so I'm not an expert - just thought I'd let you know what I did with her. It seemed to work. When I took her dam away, I got my most gentle gelding and put him in with the foal. They became buddies, so then I added my next most-gentle horse. The foal had a couple buddies before I put her out with the herd (it's a small herd); so the aggressive horses didn't mess with her. Everything has been fine! So maybe if you have room in the round pen, or if you could use a small field, to add a mare at a time until the foal has some buddies, that would work. Good luck!

Left Hand Percherons 11-15-2011 09:34 AM

I personally have not had a colt older than 7 months who in a mixed herd had not started sticking his nose where it didn't belong. I'd get that taken care of first. Throwing him to the wolves (under a watchful eye) will teach him invaluable life skills.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-15-2011 10:29 AM

I 'throw the foals to the wolves' by the time they're 2 months old. I usually let them and their dams stay in their own pasture for a couple of months but by then I let dam & foal rejoin the herd because mom will protect them if need be. That way by weaning time, I just send mom on a 'vacation' at another ranch for a couple of months and baby rarely even notices she's gone.

Oh, and at 6 months he could impregnate a mare, so if you don't want your mares to become broodmares, I'd sure have him gelded before he got tossed out there.

jannette 11-16-2011 12:35 PM

thanx i'll try that...

InStyle 11-16-2011 02:36 PM

I rescued 2 mares and their colts (2months old) and after a week in their own corral they went out with the herd. I recently rescued another weanling colt and after aweek he was out with the herd no problems. My other 2 weanling colts had their mom go to a friends for the weaning process, and they are just fine :D
Posted via Mobile Device

InStyle 11-16-2011 02:37 PM

OH, and all three weanlings have been gelded!
Posted via Mobile Device

jannette 11-16-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 1233901)
I personally have not had a colt older than 7 months who in a mixed herd had not started sticking his nose where it didn't belong. I'd get that taken care of first. Throwing him to the wolves (under a watchful eye) will teach him invaluable life skills.

ahhh good point!!!!! we were planning on gelding him here soon,so he can chill a little longer lol...hopefull that will keep him outa trouble:lol: