The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Is my horse swaybacked? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/my-horse-swaybacked-100348/)

ringosmomma 10-13-2011 04:39 PM

Is my horse swaybacked?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi i have been told that my horse had a slight swayback by one person and i wanted to come on here and see what you guys had to say. He does have very thick and pronounced withers which i think makes even the slightest swayback if he has it look worse. ive been told you go from back to ffront when looking for a swayback and his doesnt seem that bad. So let me know what you think. If he is swaybacked then how severe is it and is it necissary for me to get him a special bad for it? thanks so much. the first picture is now and the last two are when i first got him,which is about a year difference he has had alot of time off because ive been sick and so hes just now getting back into things so hes a little on the heavy side which i know can make the back look slightly more swayed.
Attachment 76871

Attachment 76872

Attachment 76873

redape49 10-13-2011 05:19 PM

To me he just looks a lil high withered.

csimkunas6 10-13-2011 05:29 PM

IMO he is NOT swaybacked....like redape said, it just looks like he has high withers ;D

Red Gate Farm 10-13-2011 06:07 PM

Nope. :D

New_image 10-13-2011 06:15 PM

Not swaybacked. I wouldn't even call him particularly high withered.

Endiku 10-13-2011 07:50 PM

I think that what they saw was his rather large butt. It's a bit high, giving the illusion of a sway-back. His withers are just a bit upright, but not all that high.

IMO he looks like a decently built horse. Nothing to worry about for now!

ringosmomma 10-14-2011 09:57 PM

thanks everyone:-) thats what i thought but i was just wanting to get opinions. I got him about a year ago for $900 he was a diamond in the rough and i think hes a steal of a deal and i couldnt ask for more. He does have his issues but what horse doesnt haha

smrobs 10-14-2011 10:06 PM

I agree, I don't see a swayback either. What I do see is a slightly downhill build coupled with larger withers. That can sometimes give the appearance of a swaybacked horse but in all honesty, his looks very nice and straight.

its lbs not miles 10-15-2011 12:16 AM

Just to join the corus. Not sway backed. The back looks like it has a pretty even line between the croup and the upturn of the withers. A sway has more of a dip not a line. Doesn't look to heavy to me either. Just make sure you have a cut back saddle if English, or a high gullet otherwise. Those withers should keep you from have much of a saddle side slippage.

ringosmomma 10-15-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its lbs not miles (Post 1201085)
Just to join the corus. Not sway backed. The back looks like it has a pretty even line between the croup and the upturn of the withers. A sway has more of a dip not a line. Doesn't look to heavy to me either. Just make sure you have a cut back saddle if English, or a high gullet otherwise. Those withers should keep you from have much of a saddle side slippage.

We ride western and i have a Circle Y Flex Tree for him and i love it and so does he, it has a high clearance for his withers. No not much slipping side to side with him :lol: His big ol butt does good on going uphil on trailrides haha hes got pretty big hind quarters and strong shoulders. Hes really comfortable bareback too, which i just started to ocassionally try. Im glad i found this sight so i can ask horse savy people my questions when they come up you cant always trust the people on yahoo answers lol but i didnt know where else to go for my questtions where i could get alot of opinions