The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   a new hello :) (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/new-hello-100403/)

Spotfreak 10-14-2011 08:14 AM

a new hello :)

hello, I'm new here :D
I have a 17 year old german Ridingpony and live in Austria near by vienna.
I'm here to rummage in this forum, learn new things and get more information about exchanging programs and visiting Canada.

my biggest dream at the moment: work on a ranch in Canada (for board an lodging), get the ranchfeeling :)

yes thats me...

Courtney 10-14-2011 11:15 PM

Welcome!

Look at trail riding places in Jasper. They are always looking for experienced horse people to lead rides through the mountains and whatnot.

HorseLovinLady 10-15-2011 05:10 AM

Welcome to the forum!!

Spotfreak 10-16-2011 03:01 PM

I'll have a look ;)

lilruffian 10-16-2011 03:23 PM

Welcome!

Spotfreak 10-16-2011 03:39 PM

but should I google "trail riding places in Jasper" or search it here... I cannot find it!

LittleZeasel 10-23-2011 06:50 PM

Heya - und liebe Gruesse an die Stadt meines Herzens :) Wien ist super!

I'll swap back to English as we are here on an English speaking board, but can PM in German, too if that is easier :)
A lot of 'Wrangler Stations', i. e. barns and farms in Canada make their money by guiding tourists around trails. Most of their wranglers actually are volunteers and very few offer paid jobs. But - especially if you like to further your career on it, and go to college or similar, they value such 'volunteer jobs' in the CV quite highly.

First thing: Google for National Parks in Canada (Jasper, Banff, Waterton, etc.) then find activities there (Horseback riding) - normally the barns have their own webpages and then it's just a matter of emailing them and writing to them.

Make sure you also speak to the Embassy about what visa will be needed to do this. I joined the Volunteers in Park program at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park last year and despite having everything cleared with the Embassy of USA and the National Park, actually getting into the USA through the immigration officers at the borders turned out to be a pain :( ... I have no idea about the procedures for Canada, but could write a book about the USA - and it would not be pretty...

Also: If immigration proves to be very complicated and as strugglesome as it was with me last year, checking into Ireland and England might prove useful - advantage: You don't have to bother about visa issues at all (the only useful feature of the EU :P ) ...

A couple of helpful search tips:

Website for National Parks in Canada:
List of National Parks of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(also contact the Canadian National Park Services for their potential programs. I know the USA National Parks sometimes offer internships to work with their mounted Back-Country teams, maybe the Canadian ones have a similar program?)
I think, this is their official website: Parks Canada - National Parks of Canada - National Parks of Canada

As soon as you google for the national parks, and add horse back riding, you will get tons of lists of websites of riding barns that offer those services :)

Alternatively:
Horsejobs.ca - Welcome Horsejobs Guest!

Good Luck :)
I know, it's a pipe dream until it comes true! I was so excited when I heard from several National Parks and got accepted into a few and then the actual preparing, visa work, etc. began ... Fun times ! :)

Let me know if I can help with more info !

LZ

PS: I almost would have gone and did their work student program here: http://www.ewsz.com/workingstudents.asp A swiss family in Canada - before I was able to actually fly, I had a major car accident :( and there went my dream for joining them :(

Spotfreak 10-24-2011 02:09 PM

Wow! that's amazing! thank you so much for this info! I will have a look and search and search!
Oh, I'm so happy you help me a lot! PM you if I found something and may I ask you some questions?!
thank you! thanksthanksthanks!:happydance:

Blondehorselover 10-24-2011 05:05 PM

Nice to meet you! You have a GREAT dream! I'd love to work on a ranch...or dude ranch!

LittleZeasel 10-24-2011 08:26 PM

Spotfreak, you may send me any questions :) I'll help as best as I can... After all, I wanted to do it, too :) Had everything lined up, too :) Sooo :) Happy to help.
Posted via Mobile Device