The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Swollen ankle.. please help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/swollen-ankle-please-help-100456/)

Kimberly 10-14-2011 07:33 PM

Swollen ankle.. please help

Hi everyone thanks for taking the time to see what the fuss is about.
I recently purchased a mare that has stone brusing and pretty sever i might add. We put her in the stall on horse shoers secret and bute for pain, eventually she got better, :lol: not well enough to ride just enough to go out side-- bad decision :-(. All was well other than being a little gimpy from time to time. I went to feed this morning everything was fine, went out to feed tonight and her right back ankle is swollen, hot, and she can't hardly walk. :cry: So i put her in the stall after running cold water for about ten minutes gave her a little bute and i am so scared she has done something very sever to herself, i dont know what to do. The swelling looks like its more to the front of the ankle, I cant tell if its a tendon or legament injury or if she has dislocated something. The swelling is just above the ankle down to hoof.when she goes to set it down she shakes really bad, she did lay it down to get in the barn but she had a hard time getting there. If anyone has any sugestions what she has done or what i can do that would be great. vet cant come til monday.
Thanks,
Kimberly

bubba13 10-14-2011 08:28 PM

There are no other vets in your area? Crap. Because it sounds like she needs seen, pronto.

Could be an abscess, could be a broken bone, could be a soft tissue injury, and really I don't know of any way to tell you how to diagnose it yourself....is there heat in that hoof?

LetAGrlShowU 10-14-2011 08:34 PM

it wont hurt to soak the leg. Get epsom salt and water. It may be an abcess with no where to burst. Was this not suggested when the bruise was found?

Kimberly 10-14-2011 09:54 PM

Yes she has heat and the brusing was a month ago she still seemed sore on it even last week but only sometimes. there was an absest but even after that she is still sore. she got to where she liked to play a lttle and im thinking i should have kept her inside longer. To late now though... i just dont know???? monday is too far away i need another vet he is out of town, I just dont like to use strange doctors, i had a wrong diagnosis once that cost me the lives of four horses. he is really good but very unavailable tonight. im still calling around now but about out of options.is there anywhere i can see pictures of injuries to that area of a horse. its not a bowed tendon, for sure, i wish i could see pictures of other horses injuries simular to this.

Kimberly 10-14-2011 09:59 PM

Also she is so sore she wont let me wrap it. and im not sure if i should, i think i need to for suport but she wont hold still...i hate to twitch her but i may have too i dont have any ace.

bubba13 10-14-2011 10:11 PM

Better a poor vet than no vet. He's pretty unlikely to kill her.

Kimberly 10-14-2011 11:04 PM

Well no luck tonight maybe in the morning one can come..

Kimberly 10-15-2011 12:00 PM

well she is better this morning. Doc said water therapy twice a day with bute and dex Stall rest and time.
Posted via Mobile Device

nicole25 10-15-2011 03:54 PM

I would definitely take her out and talk her like up and down in the grass once or twice to avoid getting stocked up. but dont push her more then she can handle, even if it is just coming out of her stall circling in the isle and going back in. its better then standing in her stall and getting stocked up.

also did the vet tell you that without coming out to check on her? I would still insist on getting the vet out.

Kimberly 10-15-2011 04:11 PM

Thank you for the info. The vet didn't mention that. Yes he came here in person.
Posted via Mobile Device