The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   |The Connor Chronicles| (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/%7C-connor-chronicles%7C-100466/)

Endiku 10-14-2011 10:08 PM

|The Connor Chronicles|

Alrighty guys! I decided to relocate, as my last thread had gotten quite lengthy. Now that Connor has conquered his parvo battles, I've decided that it's time to begin a new chapter. The Connor Chronicles!

For those of you who do not know Connors story and wish to read it; his previouse thread is located here:

Dealing with Parvo

Connor is a rescued puppy who came down with Parvo at 6 weeks old; then was diagnosed with Wobblers Syndrome about a month and a half ago. His WS is thankfully mild for now; but because of the location on his spine, surgery would be very dangerous. The doctors feel that he is better off with therapy at the moment; and if he worsens, we will look at the surgery route.

Connor is nearly five months old, and doing fantastic with his hydro-therapy. His muscles are very week, but are very slowly gaining mass (they had atrophied terribly before we started his therapy; resembling sticks rather than legs.) He's such a goofball and has an amazing personality that has us all constantly laughing.

As a first post; we'll keep everything happy. Here is a video of him playing this evening with my brother's bedspread, and attempting to eat my camera!

note: our word for slobbering on things (as he often does) is 'slime.' so when I say 'Connor you slimed it!' I'm talking about the puddle of drool he left us!

xeventer17 10-15-2011 12:59 AM

That's great that he's doing well! I actually work at a physical therapy center (Rebound Animal Wellness Center) and we have a nine year old Swiss Mountain dog name Fudge that comes in who also has Wobblers. He's still going strong, so I'm sure little Connor will do great! Looking forward to more updates :]

HorseLovinLady 10-15-2011 05:06 AM

Glad to hear he's doing better and I hope he'll continue to improve.

Endiku 10-15-2011 07:04 PM

That's so great to hear! The doctors are optimistic about his treatment first because we caught it so early on, and second because it appears to be fairly minor; atleast for the time being. When they'd heard about the battles he's already won; the doctor just laughed and said 'well why are we worried about a little bit of clumsiness? If he can survive being dumped on a side of a road, be the only one to survive of his siblings, and get parvo at less than 6 pounds- ofcourse he can beat WS!'

We're very glad to have such kind, knowledgable staff working with our little (big) boy.

What kind of therapy is done for the dogs where you work? As of right now Connor is working on stepping over small poles without touching them, weaving between cones that are set about three feet apart from eachother; and we're doing quite a bit of swimming. His legs aren't strong enough to swim by himself yet, but we use a sling to help support his weight and he absolutely LOVES it! It's so freeing for him.

xeventer17 10-15-2011 11:45 PM

We offer floor therapy (cavalletis, balance balls, balance boards, cones, etc.), cold laser therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture and chiropractic work, and hydrotherapy.

Does the facility that you're using only have a swimming pool? If so, it's absolutely better than nothing, but we actually have underwater treadmills on which the dogs actually walk. They can also be used as infinity pools. We were one of the first facilities in our area to have one though, and we only opened up about a year and a half ago, so it could be that they just haven't really gotten to your area yet.

Either way, I'm so glad that you and your family are taking the therapy route for Connor! It's a much less intrusive method than surgery, and much easier on the dogs. In my opinion, if it's possible, therapy should always be tried before surgery. It's a great thing that you guys are doing for him :] He has truly been blessed to be found and adopted by your family.

Endiku 10-16-2011 07:22 PM

That's really neat! The facility that we bring Connor to only has a swimming pool at the moment. Hopefully they'll get an underwater treadmill in the near future though. I can see that as being very benificial. I believe that in two weeks he'll be using balance balls, and his first chiropractor visit (we're going to a seperate clinic for this) is set for next Thurseday. I feel so terrible for him in the mornings, because its like he's a puppy trapped inside of a 12 year old's body. His muscles get extremely stiff I usually have to use a heating pad as well as a massage to get him out of his crate. I'm hoping that the chiropractor can help us out a little bit with loosening him up.

I absolutely agree. I was so happy to hear that we didn't have to go through surgery with him. He will be re-evaluated in three months, and if he has improved- we will most likely just continue that and forget surgery unless he gets much worse. If he does not improve, we will look into the surgical route.

Truely, I think its us who were blessed by his adoption. I have recently been under huge amounts of stress, but when I come home and see him; it all just dissapears. You dont get better therapy than having your puppy come barreling at you with as many kisses as he can give you and a tail wagging so hard that he's about to fall over, even when no one else is happy to see you. I can't imagine life without him.

Endiku 11-14-2011 12:14 PM

six months old!

Connor is officially six months old and is fourty pounds. (no, his eyes are not green. I accidently turned the flash on and this is what happened!) he's just a big old hunk of lovin' and is now running much better than he used to! Connor took his first trip out to the barn yesterday, and was a bit nervouse around the horses until one came up and gave him a kiss. He then decided that he was meant to be a horse; not a dog- and proceeded to try eating grass with the geldings and drink out of their water trough; silly boy!

Connor will be neutered some time this month, and we're hoping that will calm him down just a bit ;) he's quite a crazy, high energy dog- and his body just can't keep up with what his mind wants to do!

Along with cute pictures, I am posting a few of the obviouse curving and deformation of his spine and limbs, to give you all a feel of just what we're working with. We are trying to prevent artheritis from setting in so early, and are starting him on some joint medication soon.

Mornings are usually tough for him, after being in his kennel (which is extra large, in order to allow him as much movement as possible) all night. He begins every day with a full body massage to work out the stiffness and 'uncrumple' his back. Once that's done he's ready to GO!

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures!

having breakfast - oatmeal! and plastic o.o I had to take it away before he ate the entire thing; including the bowl!
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...bridled023.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...bridled020.jpg

hind view- spine. The abnormal 'roach' is caused by spinal damage. The vets are unsure if it is hereditary or caused by injury either in the womb or shortly after birth.
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...bridled030.jpg
hind end. You can see the strange bow of his tendons in this picture.http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...bridled031.jpg

this posture is normal for him in the mornings, or after laying down for more than a few minutes. Once his body warms up and I help his muscles relax, he takes up a much more even stance. He resembles a nine or ten year old, rather than the six moth old that he is.
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/...bridled026.jpg

xeventer17 11-14-2011 06:05 PM

He looks great! Glad the physical therapy is helping :] If you're looking for a good joint supplement, I would recommend Dasuquin. It's prescription only, but really works wonders! Keep up the good work!!

Endiku 11-14-2011 10:29 PM

Thanks! Dasuquin is actually one of three that we're looking at. He has a re-evaluation for a medication this week, so we'll be discussing it more fully then. I'll definately make sure to really consider that one!

HorseLovinLady 11-15-2011 04:47 AM

Awww he's so cute!! Continued good luck with his healing.