The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Variety? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/variety-100473/)

SpiritDancer 10-15-2011 12:24 AM

Variety?

Hi. :)

My horse and I mainly do barrel racing, so we train for that about, oh, once a week or so. But when we aren't working with barrels, I'm never really sure what to do... I'll practice with bending and flexing and such, and a few other things, but after that we just pretty much do a cool down and walk around the property. I don't feel like this is exciting for him, since he can free roam in the places we ride.

So, my question is, how much variety is in your riding schedule?
How do you keep your horse from getting bored or tired of certain activities?
Do you just trail ride on the days you're not working? How do you get a workout without working, in my case, barrels?

I just really don't want him to get bored or be soured from being sick of doing the same thing lol.
You don't need to answer all of the questions, of course. If you want to you can just kind of explain what you do to have variety, if that is easier. Thanks. :)

Amber and Mac 10-15-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritDancer (Post 1201120)
Hi. :)

My horse and I mainly do barrel racing, so we train for that about, oh, once a week or so. But when we aren't working with barrels, I'm never really sure what to do... I'll practice with bending and flexing and such, and a few other things, but after that we just pretty much do a cool down and walk around the property. I don't feel like this is exciting for him, since he can free roam in the places we ride.

So, my question is, how much variety is in your riding schedule?
How do you keep your horse from getting bored or tired of certain activities?
Do you just trail ride on the days you're not working? How do you get a workout without working, in my case, barrels?

I just really don't want him to get bored or be soured from being sick of doing the same thing lol.
You don't need to answer all of the questions, of course. If you want to you can just kind of explain what you do to have variety, if that is easier. Thanks. :)

My routine when I ride is usually pretty laid back, for me at least. Most of the time I'm riding with other people/horses but when I do ride by myself its pretty much the same. I show Gymkhana/Barrel Racing (my main things) but i also show western pleasure/showmanship. We never really plan anything out for the day, we just think of stuff and do it. But, most of the times we'll get warmed up. Walk/jog around the ring for a few minutes. Sometimes we'll practice command class (elimination). I do this with my barrel horse and oddly enough he likes it. Practicing command has always been fun for me because my grandma (who teaches us and is also the 'judge) cannot see all the horses so one person will say that person is out and we'll have a whole argument about it (Nothing serious! Just playing around) It's also good training for our young horses who have never done command class before.

Lets see.. after that we might just walk around again..we might practice posting if one of us is riding english that day. Which is rare since we're mainly western people. Towards the end we usually practice games. Cloverleaf, Straight/Speed Barrels, Barrel Keyhole, etc. We like to save the fun for last although the whole time is fun! After that we like to go on a trail ride out in the fields to just loosen up and unwind. It's a nice and relaxing way to end the day since we've been riding for a couple hours.

That's just my little routine ;p

edit;;
forgot to mention, before our county fair we like to practice Western Trail classes and Showmanship at Halter.

Joe4d 10-15-2011 08:38 PM

teach him mounted shooting, get you a cap gun and get started.

bubba13 10-15-2011 10:34 PM

Set up some obstacles. Work on desensitation. Haul somewhere and do a trail ride. Train him bridleless.

SpiritDancer 10-23-2011 08:02 PM

Those are some good ideas, thanks everyone.
If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to keep posting them~~ (: