The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse shows are cruel and horsemen are idiots. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-shows-cruel-horsemen-idiots-100479/)

SorrelHorse 10-15-2011 03:49 AM

Horse shows are cruel and horsemen are idiots.

Please kill me now. Or at least completely block me form these videos, because I'm obsessed with the wackiness...

What really kills me about this guy is that he STARTS going in the right direction, then BAM he goes off on a huge rant with ridiculous ideas about what "Actually happens" in this arena.

What is this STUPID idea about barb wire making a reining horse plant their feet? Deadened tail and ear nerves (Illegal btw)? Marbels in the shoes? SHOCKING?

Sure, you get those idiots at the run-down rodeos with them crazy cowboys who are shocking all those bucking horses...But for the love of god, when was the last time you saw ANY decent rodeo do that? The bucking straps are lined with fleece for christ's sake....

I've never done any of those ridiculous tricks he's come up with. Have you?

ridergirl23 10-15-2011 04:10 AM

If only i knew all those tricks before show season ended.... oh well, next year ;)
honestly don't let it bother you, he's just one of those extreme people. Theres no use arguing with him, he seems pretty stubborn, lol. oh well, i enjoy my horse shows, I think i need to make me one of those, what was it?, the 'i love me' wall or something? hahaha.
Does anyone know where i can buy some marbles?

AmazinCaucasian 10-15-2011 11:03 AM

You hit the nail on the head SorrelHorse! I love to hate him too. I saw him ride for the first time last night. Hahahahaha!!!! OMG he rides a horse just like you'd expect a ******ed loud-mouth truck-driver gunsel to ride. Looks like a monkey on a sheepdog. Has no control of where his horse is going. His horses have no rate and just go where they want with their head in the air (big surprise, huh?) And he's GIVING PEOPLE INSTRUCTION! I can only imagine the people who show up at his "clinics".

The thing is, he insults people who have skill, experience, and knowledge. Tells his followers that people who show are cruel? Gimme a break! He would never be competitive at a show or contest, so he runs them down and says "I'd never do that because it's cruel". He likes to put down reiners and accuse them of cruelty. But he will never never never reach the skill level or even scratch the surface of what these folks know. And the people he's insulting are easier on the horses than Gore is because they tech a horse to be soft and responsive so you don't have to pull on them. Rick's horses will always be stiff and he'll always have to pull. He's a joke but it makes for good watchin'

RunJumpRide 10-15-2011 11:10 AM

I may be wrong, but isn't this dude the same guy that said disciplining your horse is cruelty, too? :-|
Just smile and wave. The only thing he's doing is making a fool of himself. :-P

Crossover 10-15-2011 12:03 PM

He does realize the horse he's filming is in field fence which could be potentially dangerous?

I'm sure the horse whose being bounced on by him feels its being used cruelly.

SorrelHorse 10-15-2011 02:41 PM

I have to say I'm extremely glad I'm not the only one....The complete ridiculous antics of this guy just drives me up the wall!

If that's how you make good reiners, I must have had barbwire around my horses legs, shoved a sharp piece of metal into his mouth when he was started and practiced running him into the wall to teach him to slide.

'cause, ya know....Teaching turnaround without barb wire is impossible...and I totally didn't start my colt in a bosal, then snaffle, then the gentlest curb I could find. And I totally didn't allow his brakes to build up through gentle reinforcement of the cue. Because I'm an idiot show person who doesn't care about my horses and I only do it because I might get a check. And I also totally deadened the nerves in my horses ears and tail - Hence why h never shows any sign of irritation. Did I deaden the nerves in his hind legs too? Cause he's never bucked either.

kevinshorses 10-15-2011 08:37 PM

I've never heard of cutting the nerves in a horses ears (I'm pretty sure it would make thier ears flop around) or the marbles but most of the other stuff really does happen and happens quite a lot but I don't see what his little temper tantrum is going to solve. I don't show because I don't want to do what it takes to win and I don't want to waste my money losing. If you really want to be a competitive in many events then you WILL have to be quite brutal with your horse.

bubba13 10-15-2011 11:23 PM

What's funny is that I got a comment on one of my YouTube videos saying that I'm "much better than that horseawareness guy." I'll take the compliment!

ridergirl23 10-16-2011 10:20 PM

The thing that bugs me though (and maybe its like this in other disciplines?) but he talks about how you have to do cruel things to win like everyone else..... but My trainer (i won't say me because i don't win so much, lol! and I'm not at such big shows) wins all the time in dressage and she would never be able to do anything like that to her horse, if she could she wouldn't be my coach!
but maybe thats different in other places?

haleylvsshammy 10-17-2011 01:00 AM

Marbles? Really? Hmm... strange because I've seen babies step nice and high and my friend has barefoot horses who are high steppers and have lots of action. Does he not realize that some breeds of horses are naturally high steppers?

Funny how he's giving advice to everybody on how to properly "discipline" a horse when he lets his horses push him around.