The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Training a mini horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/training-mini-horse-10055/)

travlingypsy 06-12-2008 02:33 AM

Training a mini horse?

How would a trainer train a mini horse? I found an ad that had a mini for sale and was ridable. Ever since I was 14 I always wanted to have my 3 year olds ride a mini then 7 have a pony then when they get bigger they can have a horse then bigger they can have a huhemungo draft...
But what if the mini bucks its not like you can get on and do circles and yeilds.

boonesar 06-12-2008 08:33 AM

mini

I have a mini that is trained really well to ride and drive. She is a sweetheart. I don't know much about how she was trained. I do a lot of ground work with her before my daughter's first ride. I bought her at auction and I didn't know everything about her.

The amish community around me are really into mini's right now. They have their children train them with adult suppervision. They do everything with their mini's. I saw one last week being used in the garden for tilling.

If you haven't bought one yet I would look into an amish trained one where it's broke to ride and drive. Mine is a little bigger the the small small mini's and it a nice size for kids to start young while being leaded and grow into.

We are in the Central Ohio area. If you would like to know of some names of auctions and amish in my area let me know.

Curly_Horse_CMT 06-12-2008 09:53 AM

Mini Horses

I dont know much about training Minis....my friend had a stud and she bought him and he was broke to drive and ride. He had been given pony rides at birthday parties and stuff and was fine around kids. She also had this studs son who was two, and decided to train him to drive first, since he still wasnt big enough to hold weight. I think that it is a great way for little kids to learn how to ride. Its amazing that Minis can hold up to sixty pounds on their backs and up to five hundred in cart! Amazing horses really...

My2Geldings 06-12-2008 02:54 PM

You train just like any other horse. The ones that are to little for riding ( I had 9 of them) you will need to purchase a surcingle and ground lines, otherwise you train them the same way you would train a full sized horse.

crackrider 06-12-2008 10:57 PM

hmm . . . I've always wondered that too! well now I know! lol :)

My2Geldings 06-12-2008 11:15 PM

Those little buggers have more personality than most horses. Their very sneaky and very bubbly little things but they are horses so you will deal with the same type of behavior and training as any other horse.

travlingypsy 06-13-2008 03:02 AM

Really? But I still dont get how like an adult would deal with riding one..unless they stick a kid on it and say "Ok hold on till the bucks are out!" I understand about training them from the ground and stuff but that can on,y get you so far....Unless im just being really air headed and not getting the point.