The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Should I just cut it...? Mane rubbing D: (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/should-i-just-cut-mane-rubbing-100557/)

SorrelHorse 10-16-2011 04:14 AM

Should I just cut it...? Mane rubbing D:

Selena had the most beautiful mane in the world for a long time. Super long, pretty, but not too thick to manage.

Well we turned her out in the big pasture a week ago and the next day she came back in with the middle third of her mane COMPLETELY missing. D: So now it's just two long pieces on some scraggly tufts directly in the center.

Is there a way I can recover this, or should I just cut it even and start over? It's not cold enough to put a hood on her yet, it's still so hot out, an she's rub off a sleazy and no stalls currently open.

SaddleUp158 10-17-2011 10:49 PM

If she is just itchy you could try spritzing some listerine on her mane. This helps kill whatever is making her itch.

Rowzy 10-17-2011 11:48 PM

My mare did the same thing. I kept thinking I could wait for the middle section to grow out then pull the whole mane to a medium length... but it never worked out and it just looked awful for a long time. She kept rubbing it in the winter, so it didn't grow back right. In the end I pulled her whole mane and it looks a lot better. I decided to keep it short (because I actually like the pulled mane look on her) but if I wanted to grow it out, I don't think it would have been that hard.

Hope that helped...

When it was messed up, I think this was 2+ years after she rubbed all the hairs out originally but she did it again earlier that year (for some reason the hairs grew back light grey):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...y/IMG_2042.jpg

sdellin 10-22-2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowzy (Post 1204149)
My mare did the same thing. I kept thinking I could wait for the middle section to grow out then pull the whole mane to a medium length... but it never worked out and it just looked awful for a long time. She kept rubbing it in the winter, so it didn't grow back right. In the end I pulled her whole mane and it looks a lot better. I decided to keep it short (because I actually like the pulled mane look on her) but if I wanted to grow it out, I don't think it would have been that hard.

Hope that helped...

When it was messed up, I think this was 2+ years after she rubbed all the hairs out originally but she did it again earlier that year (for some reason the hairs grew back light grey):

Bella did this same thing, she would put her head between the rails of the paddock to reach grass on the outside. She had a whole section of mane missing right in the middle. I used Shapley's MTG and it grew back nice and thick. I added non-climb horse fencing around the outside of her paddock panels, now she can't put her head through to eat grass.

gizpeptig 10-23-2011 01:17 PM

I say leave it & just apply MTG until it grows out :)