The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique of these two reiners (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-these-two-reiners-100598/)

equiniphile 10-16-2011 03:25 PM

Critique of these two reiners

I'm still looking for a Western-type horse, but have decided to look for more of a reiner than a WP horse. These two both caught my eye, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on either of them:

#1: Entry Level Reiner | Buy this Horse at Equine.com
#2:
My uncle and aunt compete nationally in the Arabian reining circuit, so I have experience in reining on their horses and can always get advice from them if problems were to arise.

In addition to reining, I would use the horse for Western Pleasure at fair and teach him/her English later down the road. One class I love watching every year and hope to compete in this or next year is the Versatility, where the horses are ridden in a reining class, barrels or poles, English pleasure, and Western horsemanship.

franknbeans 10-16-2011 03:49 PM

THis is like comparing apples and oranges. Totally different prospects. The half sister to Stacy's horse looks to be young, and have a long way to go to be trained. If you don't have that ability, and are learning yourself, you are probably better with the first horse, who is ok, not great, and it is hard to tell in that small arena, and it is obvious the horse is pretty rusty in the manuevers.

equiniphile 10-16-2011 03:57 PM

Thanks, Frankn. I know they're very different and hard to compare. I've brought on green horses before, have taught neck reining and balance to young horses, and have worked with horses in all stages of training at my uncle's ranch, from 3-yr old babies just learning to jog under saddle to finished national-level reiners. Were I to go with the second prospect, I would most likely trailer her for training and lessons a few times a week. I do have the time to bring on a youngster.

The first horse is obviously more consistent, more learned in his spins and lead changes, but I don't like his stop. I would definitely have to work on that. The second filly has a beautiful stop, great flexion, and seems pretty balanced for a youngster.

I guess my main question is, with regular training, which horse do you think has the most potential?

tinyliny 10-16-2011 05:19 PM

you're a good rider with a light touch. YOu'd be well suited to a horse that needs bringing along. I saw the poor backing of the Arab (legs kind of mixed up) ,but of the two, I liked the Arab better. I think you'd do well with that horse.

smrobs 10-16-2011 05:33 PM

Boy, neither of those riders are doing those horses any favors as far as appearance goes :?.

Truthfully, I like the look of the younger one better. He's got her doing some things that I really don't like but her general demeaner and appearance appeals to me more than the gelding does. She is still young so she won't be too set in her ways to easily change something if you wanted to. What really worries me though is that he's sliding her all over the place with no skid boots on. That's a good way to burn them and make them squishy about stopping hard like they should.

franknbeans 10-16-2011 05:34 PM

If you have the time and resources, there is no doubt the young horse is a better fit for you. I really liked her! Plus, she is a mare!:wink:

equiniphile 10-16-2011 06:07 PM

Thanks for the input! I don't believe the youngster is an Arab; I thought she was full QH.

I'm not really interested in finding a finished reiner to go out and compete on; I'm more inclined to buy a horse that has a solid foundation but needs finishing. If I can come up with the money, my mom will meet me halfway, so now I'm in search of a job besides babysitting. Most of the stores around here won't hire until you're 15 or 16, so I might have to stick with babysitting for now. I'd like to go and ride both of these guys to get a feel for what I'm getting in this price range, though. Neither are terribly far away; I might have to drive to see one or both of them next weekend. Here's more info on the 2-yo:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1713520

smrobs 10-16-2011 06:13 PM

Oh, wow. Now that makes me wonder what's really wrong with the gelding for a green 2 year old to cost $500 more than he does :?.

equiniphile 10-16-2011 06:19 PM

Bloodlines, perhaps? His price isn't terribly out of line for around here. It seems pretty reasonable...Something to keep in mind, though.

paintedpastures 10-16-2011 06:22 PM

I do like that filly:D & she looks to have pretty advanced training for a 2 yr old. That said I'd be concerned she wasn't pushed into too much to soon. I'd most definitely want a vet soundness exam.