The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Duett saddles and a stirrup bar question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/duett-saddles-stirrup-bar-question-100672/)

WalnutPixie 10-17-2011 09:43 AM

Duett saddles and a stirrup bar question

Hi, everyone!

I'm starting to narrow down my search for a new dressage/trail saddle. After deciding to skip over adjustable trees, I am seriously considering a Duett saddle right now. People (and their wide horses) seem to be happy with them, and if I get one used it will be cheap which is always nice.

Now, I am reading (studying, really) 'The Horses's Pain-Free Back and Saddle-Fit Book' at the moment. I found one sentence in particular very puzzling. The author, Joyce Harman, said "There is a selection of all-purpose and dressage saddles in extra-wide, though an extra-wide dressage saddle is often constructed with a wide mouth at the front of the tree, which narrows near the area of the stirrup bars and creates a pressure point."

Uh oh. Duetts are supposed to have a very wide, accomodating pommel arch. I've read online that they also have recessed stirrup bars, which have potential to cause pressure points anyway. I contacted Nancy of Duett and while she was very helpful, she did not know whether the saddles have recessed stirrup bars or not.

What do you think? I trail ride mostly, so I can't afford for my horse to have stirrup bar pressure points. Should I side-step the Duett saddles? Can anyone reccomend other wide saddle brands that might not have this problem?

Thanks again :)

kitten_Val 10-17-2011 11:25 AM

I did look into Duett, and it IS a nice saddle (I tried their dressage). Unfortunately wasn't a good fit for my horse. If you want to look into saddles for wider horses you may also look into Thornhill (that's what I currently have) and Black Country (NICE, but pricey).

I've never heard about extra-wide saddles to create pressure point to be honest with you.