The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Riding Hat or Cowboy Hat? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/riding-hat-cowboy-hat-100708/)

HollyLolly 10-17-2011 03:17 PM

Riding Hat or Cowboy Hat?

Hello there,
I have a question, and I'm sure it'll be quite controversial, so please be nice to everybody. All opinions welcome as long as they're not snide or nasty.

Basically, I have ridden English for around 13 years. This year I have gotten into Western, which I love so much, it's put the fun back into riding! I'm teaching my ex racer the basics at the moment, like the real basics, but that's another story. She's taking it so well, and I think we both enjoy it!

What I was wondering, what hat do you think I should wear? I trust her so much, and I never feel unsafe with her (-touch wood!-), so do you think I ought to get a cowboy hat, or stick with my English riding hat? I've ridden her without a hat twice, and felt fine, but I think it would be good to get some opinions.

I was thinking, to begin with, ride her in a cowboy hat in the arena, and on hacks (trails) stick to the old faithful English riding hat.

Anyway, I don't do anything potentially dangerous, without a lot of advice, and also, I wouldn't be asking this if I didn't trust Indi 100%

Thanks
Holly

twh 10-17-2011 03:34 PM

Ride with different types of hats. You'll figure out what you're most comfortable with.

Red Gate Farm 10-17-2011 03:37 PM

Protect your head. You cannot buy a new one.:wink:

LetAGrlShowU 10-17-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyLolly (Post 1203471)
Hello there,
I have a question, and I'm sure it'll be quite controversial, so please be nice to everybody. All opinions welcome as long as they're not snide or nasty.

Basically, I have ridden English for around 13 years. This year I have gotten into Western, which I love so much, it's put the fun back into riding! I'm teaching my ex racer the basics at the moment, like the real basics, but that's another story. She's taking it so well, and I think we both enjoy it!

What I was wondering, what hat do you think I should wear? I trust her so much, and I never feel unsafe with her (-touch wood!-), so do you think I ought to get a cowboy hat, or stick with my English riding hat? I've ridden her without a hat twice, and felt fine, but I think it would be good to get some opinions.

I was thinking, to begin with, ride her in a cowboy hat in the arena, and on hacks (trails) stick to the old faithful English riding hat.

Anyway, I don't do anything potentially dangerous, without a lot of advice, and also, I wouldn't be asking this if I didn't trust Indi 100%

Thanks
Holly

Well, riding a horse is dangerous. I have my own view point but I am able to keep it to myself.
Let me ask you something... did you ride with an english helmet because it went with english riding or for protection?
Are you looknig to "fit in" with the western crowd by wearing a hat/ditching the protection?

Its fine if thats the case, but you wont look very cute as a vegetable, no matter how pretty you are. Having a great bond is excellent, but things happen in an instant. I ride with a helmet because I love my family, and no amount of "being cool" is worth me missing out on time with them.

Others feel differently, just evaluate your reasons.

iridehorses 10-17-2011 03:45 PM

I always wore a cowboy hat or ball cap. Earlier this year I had a surgery that necessitated me either wearing a helmet or not riding. Now I feel odd without a helmet and my riding partners all wear helmets. I hate to say it but once I'm cleared, I'll probably go back to a ball cap.

Endiku 10-17-2011 03:45 PM

What about a 'western riding hat?' It's a riding helmet under the disguise of a cowboy hat. I have a few friends who wear them. They provide safety as well as the traditional cowboy look.

Personally, I always wear a helmet. Truthfully I don't think that you should ever trust your horse completely. They're animals and if they're scared, they can and will hurt you. IMO its better to be safe than sorry.

VanillaBean 10-17-2011 04:27 PM

I know the feeling. You are riding western with and English helmet, and you look stupid. I feel the same way.
BUT....
I would stick with a helmet. I trust my horses 100% (enough to stand on them and spin around) and I would never ride without one. Ever.

You can get helmets that look more western, I know Troxel has a few. Personally, I think the cowboy hat/helmet combos look really stupid. lol

HollyLolly 10-17-2011 04:59 PM

Thank you all for your replies, some very good points made. I'll have a think, but safety is best. And yes, embarrassingly, I would like one to fit in... as shallow as that sounds, but we'll see :-)
Thank you all for your input :D
Holly

kevinshorses 10-17-2011 05:05 PM

First, you should NEVER trust a horse 100%. They are animals with a strong, instinctive flight response and you should never expect them to fully supress it. I don't ride with a helmet but there should be no shome in anyone else doing it.

Whatever your decision just keep in mind that your horse is not totally trustworthy and may make unpredictable moves.

HollyLolly 10-17-2011 05:09 PM

Right, now, here's the next question, or challenge (if you're up for it!)
VanillaBean mentioned a Cowboy Helmet, I looked it up on a well known search engine pictures. An array of pictures came up. Some look absolutely ridiculous, however, some look like normal hats just with riding hat straps - however, the more "attractive" looking ones are never modelled on anyone's head, so you can't tell if they're just a ridiculous, or are actually really good.

So, the challenge, if you wish to accept it... Find an attractive cowboy helmet - if it's possible haha! :p
Thanks,
Holly