The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Run Run Run As Fast As You Can!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/run-run-run-fast-you-can-10074/)

SugarRider659 06-12-2008 02:54 PM

Run Run Run As Fast As You Can!!

I have an older horse i just got who is about 18. Quarter/Paint. I bought her from a young boy about the age of 22 about a year ago and I still have yet to figure out what she might have been used for. If i ask for anything more than a walk she goes straight into a gallop. One rein stops, change of bits, spinning in circles.... Nothing seems to stop her. Even when she is being lunged. She just runs full out and never gets tired.

I really don't know how to handle her because everytime i ride her its a fight to hold her back. We have worked the fence line, she reins like a charm. I guess she just loves to run. Help anyone?

My2Geldings 06-12-2008 03:15 PM

I would get a vet check done on her, get your tack assessed for proper fitting. Once everything has been ruled out I'd take her to a trainer and start her training from scratch. She is obviously lacking proper basics.

crackrider 06-12-2008 11:58 PM

Yes, I agree with My2geldings!

Curly_Horse_CMT 06-13-2008 12:09 AM

Loves to Run

My sister's paint is alot like that....he is in his mid twenties and doesnt like to walk...he always jogs or faster then that lol. He is also a head tosser too, and likes to pull the reins out of your hands. He is a tad obnoxious but he isnt my horse. I agree with the others, start from the basics since it sounds like it is engrained into her brain. It is better to start from the beginning rather then from the point you are at because you might not get anywhere if you start from there.

Brandon 06-13-2008 01:39 AM

Lol or you lunge her at a gallop, and when she starts to get tired, then tell her to gallop some more, and when she gets really tired then tell her to gallop some more, then tell her to stop.. Do that acouple times and she wont wanna gallop no more lol.. I am jokin, but you never know :wink:

I agree that your horse should be:

1. vet checked
2. Tack fits properly
3. back to basics for your horsey