The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   looking for a new horse (nervous rider) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/looking-new-horse-nervous-rider-100864/)

Loklir 10-18-2011 11:41 PM

looking for a new horse (nervous rider)

I've been riding for almost fourteen years so i have all the knowledge under my belt and i'm a pretty decent rider

in the past few years i've had really bad experiences on different horses and have lost all my confidence (I get so nervous that when i get off the horse a collapse on the ground because im shaking to much) I am slowly building up my confidence with a new horse at the moment but she still does things that through me out and i always end up back at square one.

We aren't very compatible so she is going to be my sisters horse and i'll be getting a new one

i posted in this forum because we are looking at breeds and personality
we definitely do not want a thoroughbred as all my bad experiences have been on them but we want a big horse (16hh +) would anyone be able to help me?

I still want to ride and really don't want to give up

Thank you for posting if you do you'll be helping a lot

BarrelWannabe 10-18-2011 11:49 PM

How about some sort of draft or draft cross? They're calm, willing, and fairly tall.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 10-18-2011 11:53 PM

Yeah, a draft cross might be just the ticket. They can be really nice horses.

FeatheredFeet 10-19-2011 08:49 AM

Why do you want a big horse? I'd suggest a Gypsy. Not too big, mostly solid, quiet and reliable.

Lizzie

iridehorses 10-19-2011 09:08 AM

I would suggest getting a trainer instead for the time being. Your nervousness is being transmitted down to any horse you ride. In the long run, unless you get over the fear, no horse is going to work for long.

If you are going to insist on getting a horse, then forget size and worry about attitude. Many times a 16h horse can be intimidating just by his size.

Loklir 10-19-2011 09:41 AM

The reason why i want a larger horse is because im six foot and on the solider side of the spectrum so i would like a bigger horse to accomidate that

i know many smaller breeds can carry that kind of weight before this horse i rode an arabian mare (14.3hh) for 12 years but i get concerned for their back all the same

DuffyDuck 10-19-2011 09:57 AM

I wouldn't rule out TBs, or any breed.

Best thing to do would take an instructor, or someone horsewise with you so you can look at these horses. Any breed can be lazy, docile, or hot and spicy. Look at blood lines too.

DraftX is a good idea however, but look at age, experience etc and take someone with you :)
Good luck!

FeatheredFeet 10-19-2011 10:21 AM

OK. Then I think a draft of some kind, is probably for you. Older, lots of miles under his/her belt. Don't look necessarily just for height. Seek a solid, kind partner. A plod maybe at first. You can also move up to something with a little more get-up-and-go, later, according to your age.

Do you/have you taken lessons? Do you always ride with others who are experienced? Hopefully, the answer is yes.

We can all lose our confidence sometimes but I admire your now seeking a horse with whom you can feel comfortable and start again, without giving up.

What area are you in? Someone might know of a nice solid older rescue who would suit your needs.

Lizzie

iridehorses 10-19-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loklir (Post 1205471)
The reason why i want a larger horse is because im six foot and on the solider side of the spectrum so i would like a bigger horse to accomidate that

I'm 5'10" and ~200 lb plus ~45lb of tack. I ride a 15h Paint that comes in at about 1,200 pounds. It's more the build and bone of the horse then the height. My horse outweighs my riding partner's 16h TB.

kait18 10-19-2011 04:59 PM

i have always had luck with quarter horses they are stocky and range in size... but if you are a worrying type (no offense) especially about the back limit your worries and go with an experienced draft cross. make sure they have miles under there belt and work with a trainer. if you are shaking before you get off a horse no horse will last long. :( sorry don't mean to be rude just from experience because its happening to me now and don't want you in the same boat.
good luck