The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Interested in showing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/interested-showing-100871/)

shadylane2400 10-19-2011 01:41 AM

Interested in showing

Hi, I own an Arabian Stallion, papered with great bloodlines, I am seeking a trainer for trail riding but I am also interested in showing him once he is trained. I have no idea where to begin! I am a single person 25 who bought the horse then went to college got out and now would like to show him once his is trained. Does any one know how to get involved in showing? What are the cost? I don't have a car payment and little bills and would like to win blue ribbons and some titles that most of his family members have before he gets too old. He is 6 years old.
I work for a local animal shelter and was told showing a horse is much different then showing a dog or cat or so what every one tells... if you have any advice !!
Thank you
Christina

Scoutrider 10-28-2011 12:52 PM

Hi, Christina! Welcome to the forum!! :wave:

Showing can be as low-key and relaxed to as expensive and involved as you want to go. The best way to get your feet wet would probably be to look up a local open show or schooling show. It depends, but the classes here are usually cheaper ($10-15 per class plus number/grounds fee, usually another $5-10, is about the norm in my area, once you get out of 4-H/youth shows) and the competition is pretty local. Sometimes these kinds of shows are hosted by boarding/training barns, riding clubs, etc. 4-H clubs will sometimes host open shows as fundraisers. These sort of events can be a great way to get started and get a feel for things in a smaller-scale show atmosphere.

If you're looking to get into the Arab breed show game, your best starting point would most likely be to contact the registry association and investigate what exactly is available and how to get involved. I'm not a lot of help there... I've never shown a horse in a breed-specific show. My understanding is, though, that the cost of competing is somewhat more (you're paying for an association-approved judge, etc.), and depending on where you are located you may need to do some traveling to get there. One of my old riding instructors pretty routinely trailers her horses hundreds of miles for AQHA shows.

I find horse showing, especially Halter classes, to be very much like showing dogs. The same basic process - the judge has a standard for the breed/type, and compares your horse to that standard. We don't whittle down breed by breed, and then the best of the group, and best of show, though. There are divisions according to breed/type (I.e., Arab Stallions, Arab Mares, QH Mares) that are placed, and that's it for the class. There are often high-point awards, though, that are given to the highest average score across a division, that sort of thing, at the end of the show.

If you are interested in seriously campaigning your horse on the breed circuit, I highly recommend enlisting a coach or trainer to help you. Most any sound horse can be shown successfully at some level, but there comes a point when, to be competitive as an amateur, you need to have a pit crew who knows the breed and the discipline on your "team" to back you up and help you with the finer points. Perhaps not quite so important with in-hand classes as under-saddle classes, but it is still worth a clinic or a couple of lessons with an experienced Arab Halter trainer/exhibitor. That can add to the overall cost, but there are a lot of owner/trainer/exhibitors out there - it all depends on your own experience in training and showing horses.

Again, I'm not too familiar with breed shows, but in terms of open shows 6 years is far from too old to show. Halter classes typically aren't divided by age beyond 4 years, and unless any other class has an age range attached to it, you can show your horse for as long as he is sound and healthy and you both enjoy it!

The only issue that I can see from your OP is that your horse is a stallion. While not so much a problem in breed-specific shows, a lot of smaller open shows have liability issues with stallions. Some show grounds require specific measures be taken in handling/containing stallions, and some simply don't allow them. That depends on the event - you can find that information out by contacting whoever is running the show.

Good luck, and have fun!! :D

Red Gate Farm 10-28-2011 01:05 PM

For Arabian breed shows, find a professional Arabian show horse trainer in your area and have them assess your stallion. They will be able to tell you which classes he's best suited for.

Pay them lots of money to train him.

Pay them more money to train you to ride him (if you are the one to show him). If they are going to show him, you pay them more money to haul, fit and show your horse.

Pay the tack store lots of money for fancy show equipment you'll need. Your trainer will help you with this.

Once your professional trainer/coach says you're ready, hit the shows with them.

It will take a lot of time, sweat, tears and money. Did I mention the money part? :wink:

kait18 10-28-2011 02:00 PM

i can't help you with you showing.. but i wish you luck
but you mentioned trail riding with a stallion... just a heads up in most places its not welcomed for a stallion to come trail riding just of the possible problems with them an a mare in heat and all... so just a heads up if you go for it research where your going .. my friend had that problem with her stallion she got asked to leave when people noticed many a time ... :(
good luck with every thing :)

waresbear 10-28-2011 07:55 PM

Local shows with a coach is the way to start. Attend some local shows, join the riding club that sponsors it, that is the wealth of the all info you need to get started.

shadylane2400 10-28-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutrider (Post 1214765)
Hi, Christina! Welcome to the forum!! :wave:

Showing can be as low-key and relaxed to as expensive and involved as you want to go. The best way to get your feet wet would probably be to look up a local open show or schooling show. It depends, but the classes here are usually cheaper ($10-15 per class plus number/grounds fee, usually another $5-10, is about the norm in my area, once you get out of 4-H/youth shows) and the competition is pretty local. Sometimes these kinds of shows are hosted by boarding/training barns, riding clubs, etc. 4-H clubs will sometimes host open shows as fundraisers. These sort of events can be a great way to get started and get a feel for things in a smaller-scale show atmosphere.

If you're looking to get into the Arab breed show game, your best starting point would most likely be to contact the registry association and investigate what exactly is available and how to get involved. I'm not a lot of help there... I've never shown a horse in a breed-specific show. My understanding is, though, that the cost of competing is somewhat more (you're paying for an association-approved judge, etc.), and depending on where you are located you may need to do some traveling to get there. One of my old riding instructors pretty routinely trailers her horses hundreds of miles for AQHA shows.

I find horse showing, especially Halter classes, to be very much like showing dogs. The same basic process - the judge has a standard for the breed/type, and compares your horse to that standard. We don't whittle down breed by breed, and then the best of the group, and best of show, though. There are divisions according to breed/type (I.e., Arab Stallions, Arab Mares, QH Mares) that are placed, and that's it for the class. There are often high-point awards, though, that are given to the highest average score across a division, that sort of thing, at the end of the show.

If you are interested in seriously campaigning your horse on the breed circuit, I highly recommend enlisting a coach or trainer to help you. Most any sound horse can be shown successfully at some level, but there comes a point when, to be competitive as an amateur, you need to have a pit crew who knows the breed and the discipline on your "team" to back you up and help you with the finer points. Perhaps not quite so important with in-hand classes as under-saddle classes, but it is still worth a clinic or a couple of lessons with an experienced Arab Halter trainer/exhibitor. That can add to the overall cost, but there are a lot of owner/trainer/exhibitors out there - it all depends on your own experience in training and showing horses.

Again, I'm not too familiar with breed shows, but in terms of open shows 6 years is far from too old to show. Halter classes typically aren't divided by age beyond 4 years, and unless any other class has an age range attached to it, you can show your horse for as long as he is sound and healthy and you both enjoy it!

The only issue that I can see from your OP is that your horse is a stallion. While not so much a problem in breed-specific shows, a lot of smaller open shows have liability issues with stallions. Some show grounds require specific measures be taken in handling/containing stallions, and some simply don't allow them. That depends on the event - you can find that information out by contacting whoever is running the show.

Good luck, and have fun!! :D

Hi! Thanks for the reply it gave me a better understanding !!! I will take the time to see if its even worth getting involved because I am just a pea-on in the horse world lol

shadylane2400 10-28-2011 08:54 PM

Very true.......I need to look more into it and check it out make sure its not going to be a money pit....=/ I have friends who show their dogs and cats and their always winning stuff and their so excited to be involved !

shadylane2400 10-28-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1214836)
i can't help you with you showing.. but i wish you luck
but you mentioned trail riding with a stallion... just a heads up in most places its not welcomed for a stallion to come trail riding just of the possible problems with them an a mare in heat and all... so just a heads up if you go for it research where your going .. my friend had that problem with her stallion she got asked to leave when people noticed many a time ... :(
good luck with every thing :)

Palm Springs area trail rides they dont allow stallions....in the city of coachella anything flys really....I actually rode with some ranchers who I made friends with 3 of us rode, on 2 stallions and one mare all along side of the highway never had any problems. I have been bucked off 2 mares, stopped by an abused filly and never once had a problem with a stallion lolol I totally understand some stallions are crazy. I believe it has a lot to do with the rider.

shadylane2400 10-28-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1215166)
Local shows with a coach is the way to start. Attend some local shows, join the riding club that sponsors it, that is the wealth of the all info you need to get started.

Hummm GOOD INFO! THANK YOU !