The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Is it bad for a gaited horse to canter? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/bad-gaited-horse-canter-100939/)

Kymbadina 10-19-2011 06:31 PM

Is it bad for a gaited horse to canter?

I've been asked to ride a gaited horse for sale who hasn't been ridden in a year. He walks paces and canters. I told the BO who bought him to resell him and he said he's not supposed to canter. Huh?
He's not a show horse he's a TWH who is built like a tank, I'll get a pic in a min. He rode in a Mullen mouth pelham, didn't even need the curb rein so I knotted it on his neck.
Posted via Mobile Device

kait18 10-19-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbadina (Post 1205896)
I've been asked to ride a gaited horse for sale who hasn't been ridden in a year. He walks paces and canters. I told the BO who bought him to resell him and he said he's not supposed to canter. Huh?
He's not a show horse he's a TWH who is built like a tank, I'll get a pic in a min. He rode in a Mullen mouth pelham, didn't even need the curb rein so I knotted it on his neck.
Posted via Mobile Device

both my twh canter and one of them knows the 4 beat ride of heaven the other doesn't... it doesn't change a thing about the horse or atleast thats what i have been told

walkinthewalk 10-19-2011 07:00 PM

Ask her/him where the phrase "rocking chair canter" came from. It was none other than Tennessee Walkers - lollollol

Please tell your BO there are canter classes for TWH's.

The Performance Walkers are not allowed to enter a canter class until they are five years old, so maybe that's where your BO got that half-twisted truth.

Here is a great link that you might want to bookmark since your BO seems to be getting in a lot of TWH's for your to ride:D

Tennessee Walking Horse

Where it says in part:

Quote:

"The Tennessee Walking Horse is also famous for their "rocking chair" canter, which is a collected gallop. The canter is performed in much the same way as other breeds, but the walking horse seems to have a more relaxed way of performing this gait."

Kymbadina 10-19-2011 07:10 PM

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...0-19105421.jpg

His canter IS perfect LOL that's why I was surprised he didn't want it! To me he would be a perfect pleasure/ trail horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 10-19-2011 07:12 PM

There's this common misconception that cantering a TWH will make it reluctant to gait.

It was quite annoying for my uncle yell at me to stop cantering on one of the Walkers because it would make her "not wanna gait."
:roll:
Posted via Mobile Device

Kymbadina 10-19-2011 07:27 PM

Its funny, in the arena he would rather gait. But on grass in the yard TRTING to get him to gait. He wanted to canter -_- I'm sure its because he had a crowd he had to be a snot. :) the guy knows nothing about horses. He gave me a "gaited bit" it was a double twisted wire with impossibly long shanks....no thanks. So I used my pelham. I'd rather him run away with me in a nice bit than be tortured in a mean one. So, can he ride in say a d ring snaffle or full cheek snaffle? He ride with a looser rein. Didn't hold his head up high no matter if my hands were low or at my waist. I think he's only ever been a pleasure horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sunny 10-19-2011 07:34 PM

I've ridden TWHs all my life, and one of the mares I rode was more than content in her loose ring french link snaffle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kymbadina 10-19-2011 07:35 PM

^TRYING** stupid phone
Posted via Mobile Device

Tianimalz 10-19-2011 08:12 PM

It's bad for them NOT to be able to canter every now and then, work a whole different set of muscles. I full heatedly believe that horses should be allowed to exercise all of their natural gaits. My racker canters, gallops, trots AND gaits just fine, if anything a good canter gets the oats out of her and makes us both happy :lol:

Brighteyes 10-19-2011 08:25 PM

If cantering is bad for a gaited horse, my mare is screwed. :wink: We canter all the time. We even do jumping courses and flat work that works the canter.

(Walkers I've ridden have lovely canters too. Rackers/Pacers like mine seem to need a little extra canter training, but smooth out with practice.)

Cantering builds wind and endurance. It exercises different sets of muscles. Galloping is excellent for working out soreness. Plus, most gaited horses love to canter. Many people only work two of their gaits -- walk and easy gait. Monotony breaking is good.

My mare has four gaits we work: walk, trot, canter, and her saddle gait. The more I work her at the trot and canter, the better her saddle gait has become. Working all her gaits has made her stronger and SMOOTHER.

So yeah... I'm a big supporter of cantering and working gaited horses in all their natural gaits.