The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipping a horse for the winter (but not all the way) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipping-horse-winter-but-not-all-100955/)

LeviLover876 10-19-2011 07:59 PM

Clipping a horse for the winter (but not all the way)

As far as I know when you clip a horse you're going all the way down to their skin right? I want to clip only to a normal summer coat length for riding in the winter. We'll be riding a lot and I know that having a full length coat when being ridden can be hard. I can keep him blanketed so that's not a problem either, thanks!

Klassic Superstar 10-19-2011 08:02 PM

You don't go all the way to the skin, a small layer hair is left, not to mention it grows very very fast!

LeviLover876 10-19-2011 08:05 PM

Ok, thank you for clearing that up!

Klassic Superstar 10-19-2011 08:08 PM

Of course! Trust me one day you will go out and be like say what! I have to re-clip you! Haha I had to go back over my clip about every 4 weeks, she was also outside most of the day! So about 3 to 4 times I had to go over it. I only left her winter coat on her legs and girth area besides her face and a strip along her spine to keep her back warm!

LeviLover876 10-19-2011 08:10 PM

haha I just want to clip him to keep from getting sick from sweating. So what would be the best way to clip him?

Klassic Superstar 10-19-2011 08:17 PM

Well if you want to be effective and have neat and clean clip, first bath him! Really scrub with soap and warm water! Keep a blanket over him and clip with the next two days.

Second figure out where he sweats the most. So most sweat a lot on the neck, chest and saddle area.

You can look up different clip jobs, and then tweak it to how wide to keep your clip. You can leave his hi d quarters fuzzy but clip the flank area and belly go as high or low on the ribs to shoulder, you can clip the whole neck or leave some hair near the mane if your worried of accidentally taking some of the mane off.

Really got to evaluate how hard, many times a week you will be riding and how many blankets you want on him.

Good luck! If you where near me id help you out and show you tricks!

LeviLover876 10-19-2011 08:45 PM

awwh thanks! and wish us luck!

VelvetsAB 10-19-2011 08:52 PM

I am not sure where you heard that you are supposed to clip right down to the skin. The horse would sure look awkward, and be pretty chilly!

Here is a website that lists several different clipping patterns, and has some tips.

CLIPPING horses

My favourite cartoon drawings of different clips, and why they are used.

How Much To Clip

Piaffe 10-19-2011 10:16 PM

Thanks for the link Velvet. I have been trying to decide what clips to get my horses this winter :)

LeviLover876 10-20-2011 09:56 AM

Thank You! That helps a lot!