The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Cleaning an Oil Skin Trench Coat... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/cleaning-oil-skin-trench-coat-100965/)

Monty77 10-19-2011 09:54 PM

Cleaning an Oil Skin Trench Coat...

I have a long oil skin coat that I have recently started wearing because the weather has turned sour (BOO), and it has gotten really dirty, beyond really dirty. This may be a stupid question but can I just through it in the wash? Or is there something special I need to do to it to keep it oil skiny????
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 10-20-2011 07:42 PM

Don't do that just yet. I know someone who knows the correct procedure. I'll find out.

waresbear 10-20-2011 09:21 PM

Absolutely DO NOT put in the washing machine with soap. Do not use soap, if you do, you will strip off the duckback oil, then it's no longer waterproof. You rinse it off with cold water & use a bristle brush on the muddy spots. Hang it in an airy spot, not near heat. I have a long black Koolah oilskin, had foal goo on it, mud, horse scurf, you name it, always came clean(ish) with just cold water. Being it's over 20 yrs old now, it's shiny from wear but still waterproof.

AlexS 10-21-2011 01:09 AM

Love my long wax coat for riding. You clean it with warm water (by hand) and leave it out to dry, then you can rewax it. I don't know of products sold in the US to do that, but I am sure there are some, here is one that I use from the UK.

Country Supplies | Rug Sealants & Washes

And here's some instructions on how to clean/care for wax products.

Australian Outback - Wax Cotton Care Instructions

Saddlebag 10-21-2011 09:06 PM

Here's the info I was given from the experts
  • <LI style="OUTLINE-STYLE: none">Coats should be hung in a well-ventilated area to dry out when damp. This will also relax any creases that may have occurred during storage and shipping. <LI style="OUTLINE-STYLE: none">When you see shiny areas, this means there is dirt trapped in the wax/oil. To clean, hose off or sponge the garment down with cold water. Try hanging it in the shower. <LI style="OUTLINE-STYLE: none">Gently brush off the dirt with a soft bristled brush. <LI style="OUTLINE-STYLE: none">Hang to dry. <LI style="OUTLINE-STYLE: none">Cleaning the garment any other way will completely remove the oil from the cloth and damage the oilskin properties. Do not use hot water, detergents, soaps or solvents. Do not dry clean or machine wash or dry. <LI style="OUTLINE-STYLE: none">Also uneven, dry patches indicate a need for reproofing. Regardless of how often the garment is worn, coats need reproofing every few months. <LI style="OUTLINE-STYLE: none">When it's time to reproof your garment, be sure the garment is clean and dry. Use Reproofing Cream. Spread the garment on a flat hard surface (such as a kitchen table). Using a soft cloth and the gentle heat of a blow dryer, work the cream sparingly into the garment, paying special attention to seams and worn areas. The heat will help the waxed cotton absorb reproofing cream.
  • Hang your garment overnight in a well ventilated area to allow excess surface oil to dissipate. Please note that precautions should be taken towards not allowing contact with other fabrics or materials that may absorb the wax (i.e. leather car seats).