The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   western stirrups ??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-stirrups-100997/)

kait18 10-20-2011 10:56 AM

western stirrups ???

hey everyone hopefully you can help me

i have 2 western saddles they both fit my horse and me perfectly except for reaching the stirrups. i blame my height :p
i think its called the blevins??? not sure

any who. i am barely making it to 5'2 and was wondering if there is any ways to shorten the length. i have already adjusted it as far as it can go and just need it a 1/2 inch shorter. any ideas??? its so close ...lol

Red Gate Farm 10-20-2011 10:58 AM

You can take the fenders to a saddle repair and see how much it would cost to cut them to size. Sometimes the width of the fender interferes with shortening the stirrup.

kait18 10-20-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Gate Farm (Post 1206523)
You can take the fenders to a saddle repair and see how much it would cost to cut them to size. Sometimes the width of the fender interferes with shortening the stirrup.

sweet didn't think it was possible... lol everyone by me is english riders so i will have to look :) and your right the fenders get huge and i already am at the fartherest it can go... i will check out some reopair/tack shops too figure it out..

thank you!!!

Red Gate Farm 10-20-2011 11:22 AM

NP :D I've run into this myself, being 5'2-ish (I try to claim that half inch to make me 5'3"). I couldn't figure out why the stirrups didn't go shorter, then saw the fender was in the way.

kait18 10-20-2011 11:29 AM

its the worst feeling lol... you know your so close but so far away at the same time... i am just lucky my guys don't feel the need to run off with me since i ride without my feet in the stirrups most of the time :)

SaddleOnline 10-20-2011 12:28 PM

If you have a little bit of extra leather, you can use a hole punch to add extra holes where you need them.

If not, a leather repair or tack repair shop can probably shorten them for you.

kait18 10-20-2011 12:33 PM

i did that with one of my saddles but the other doesn't have the extra leather :( or else it would have been problem solve lol

thanks though good idea as well