The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Loose stool (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/loose-stool-101/)

Cedarsgirl 12-05-2006 06:42 PM

Loose stool

I have a three year old filly that tends to have a nervous gut. When I first bought her in the fall of '05 she had some loose stool/diarrhea when I moved her to her new home. After a little while she settled and the loose stool stopped.

I have recently moved her again to a stable that has an indoor arena and other amenities that appealed to me. I knew that she would probably have loose stools again with the move but that was three weeks ago now and the loose stool/diarrhea still have not stopped. Any suggestions as to how I can get this under control? Or why this may be occuring?

tuffstuff 12-06-2006 09:56 AM

I have a 25 year old mare who does the same thing whenever she goes anywhere new. I think it may just be your filly's personality, maybe she'll outgrow it.

I take an empty tube of wormer and fill it with a mixture of 2 tbsp baking soda with Pepto-Bismol and give that to her every four hrs. I use one of those wormer halter/bits to make sure she gets the full dose. This was vet-approved.

If that doesn't work, I just give her generic Imodium (calculating the dosage by weight as recommended on the box) which I have also had approved by the vet. I crush it up in applesauce, load in the wormer tube and inject into the wormer halter/bit. TaDa, droopy poopy all gone.

I was buying their tubes at $25 to give every four hours but the above remedy works 100% better and 100% cheaper.

Cedarsgirl 12-06-2006 10:19 AM

Loose stool

Thanks tuffstuff, I'm going to give that a try. My horse absolutely hates to be wormed though...what is a wormer halter/bit? Anything to make life easier :)

tuffstuff 12-06-2006 10:40 AM

You can get it at Tractor Supply or online...shoot, can't remember the official name of it but it's black nylon and goes on like a headstall with a big plastic bit (adjustable - I use it from a 1250 lb horse to a 300 lb mini) that is hollow inside with a hole right in the apex of the bit in the middle of the mouth.

I'll look online and get back to you!

Cedarsgirl 12-06-2006 10:44 AM

Thanks. :D

tuffstuff 12-06-2006 10:44 AM

Okay, got it..I think there's several brands now but it's "Easy Wormer Drench Bit from Grooma"...$15.95 at Valley Vet (valleyvet.com)....I like them b/c they ship for free with a $25 order. I can ALWAYS find something to round it up to that!

You'll LOVE it for worming or administering any kind of med.

Cedarsgirl 12-06-2006 10:49 AM

Cool, I'll be sure to check it out. Also I'm going to give her electrolytes and probios too. Thanks a bunch :)

tuffstuff 12-06-2006 10:52 AM

You're welcome :) yeah, good thinking, the prios are good to halt it too - I keep some in my barn fridge just in case.

OhSnapItsRoxy 12-09-2006 07:11 PM

Just something else to consider...

A lot of horses will get diarrhea simply from changes in their hay. While I'm sure nerves have a lot to do with it, if you can try to bring a bale of hay from the old barn and slowly incorporate the new hay in with it. Horses have such delicate digestive tracks that any change can cause tummy trouble! :)

child in time 12-10-2006 09:50 AM

Did you have called a vet?