The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Exotic animals killed (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/exotic-animals-killed-101013/)

Katesrider011 10-20-2011 12:59 PM

Exotic animals killed

So many people are pissed at the cops for killing the animals. Do I think they could've done something else? Eh Possibly, but they did what they thought was necessary. Sadly killing them was necessary. For they tried to tranquilize a tiger, but it failed to work.

Am I the only one who puts all the blame on the man for the deaths of the animals? I hate that he felt suicide was necessary, but it IS his fault for pulling such an idiotic stunt like that. Not only did he take his own life, he is responsible for the deaths of all those exotic animals he set free as well.

Shasta1981 10-20-2011 02:35 PM

Yeah that guy had some serious issues to say the least. But as angry as I am for what he did, I'm more angry at lawmakers for allowing it to happen. Hopefully people in Ohio will demand some new rules on owning exotics.

The whole story is heartbreaking.

Katesrider011 10-20-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta1981 (Post 1206785)
Yeah that guy had some serious issues to say the least. But as angry as I am for what he did, I'm more angry at lawmakers for allowing it to happen. Hopefully people in Ohio will demand some new rules on owning exotics.

The whole story is heartbreaking.

It's my belief that Exotic animals belong in the wild and zoos that can properly take care of them.

Speed Racer 10-20-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katesrider011 (Post 1206687)
Am I the only one who puts all the blame on the man for the deaths of the animals?

Nope, I do too. Because he had a massive temper tantrum and was mad at the world, he decided to try and get innocent people hurt and killed.

The cops didn't sign up to be wild animal wranglers, and they did the best they could in a highly dangerous, volatile situation.

Jack Hannah, a well known, very respected wildlife expert, was as angry as I'd ever seen him this morning, but he placed ALL the blame on the man who let the animals out, as well as the Ohio legislature for allowing exotics in the first place.

equiniphile 10-20-2011 03:14 PM

It happened close to where I live, so it's been a huge discussion topic in classes today. It was so early in the morning that cars would hav wrecked with the darkness. Kids waiting for buses could have been ambushed by a tiger. I heard one source that said 18-some tigers were released. That's a hell of a lot of tigers on the loose. Many people are angry that tranq darts were not used, but guess what? It takes 2-3 minutes for the drugs to spread, and in that time, the animal has already gotten pissed and killed the attacker.

In the long run, let's be thankful no humans were killed. When you compare animal to human life (and some people will dispute this, I know), it's better the people were protected.

Ohio legislature is way too lenient on owning exotics, IMHO.

cakemom 10-20-2011 05:28 PM

The whole situation disguists me. Mismanaged all the way from the animals having to be there to being turned loose to being killed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tianimalz 10-20-2011 05:38 PM

I was more amused by the rednecks who tried to capture one of the tigers to be honest :lol:

kitten_Val 10-21-2011 02:47 PM

From what I know in my state it's forbidden to keep wild life as "pets". And I do think it's right. You either should do it right (and very few people can), or it has to be in wild.

P.S. What really drives me crazy is people get all those exotic pets and then just throw them away when they don't find them "cute" anymore, or simply can't care for properly.

Speed Racer 10-21-2011 02:52 PM

Well, horses aren't considered exotics, but plenty of people throw them away too, or turn them loose to fend for themselves. :?

kitten_Val 10-21-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1207863)
Well, horses aren't considered exotics, but plenty of people throw them away too, or turn them loose to fend for themselves. :?

True, SR. However my problem with "exotic" throwing is that sometime it's plain dangerous for other people or sometime even leads to the the ecological unbalance.