The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Paso Fino Parking Out? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/paso-fino-parking-out-101050/)

msbuffalorider 10-20-2011 06:07 PM

Paso Fino Parking Out?

I was recently asked to work with a paso fino.. she wont gait naturally so the owner said just to let her trot which is fine with me.. but if we do shows, should she be parking out? i know alot of rackers do, but im new to gaited horses.. thanks!

Cacowgirl 10-20-2011 10:29 PM

I've never seen a P. Fino park out-mine is little,just around 14 hands or so, & at 5'2" I have no problem getting on her. My friend has a very large TWH for her hubby & she parks out, & after getting her, we trained her to do it for a dismount also. her other walker is a little smaller, so she has him park out on occassion, but just for mounting.

kywalkers2012 12-26-2011 02:32 PM

Also, Paso Finos don't rack. It's a different gait than a rack. They don't park pasos out for shows, so I would imagine that this one doesn't need to be parked out.

Shenandoah 12-27-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbuffalorider (Post 1206985)
I was recently asked to work with a paso fino.. she wont gait naturally so the owner said just to let her trot which is fine with me.. but if we do shows, should she be parking out? i know alot of rackers do, but im new to gaited horses.. thanks!

If you're worried about parking out, I assume you are thinking of doing gaited shows? (That is, in hunter/jumper or Dressage or whatever, parking out isn't even a consideration, so I'm guessing you're looking at gaited horse showing, where it sometimes is done, depending on the breed.)
If that's the case, I think not gaiting is a much greater concern.

I take lessons on show Paso Finos, and they aren't trained to park out.
It's something you could teach - after all, as my friend's trainer says "if they can pee, they can park." But it's not needed for Paso showing.

Paso Fino 03-08-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbuffalorider (Post 1206985)

No Paso Finos should not park out. What shows are you planning to do? Breed shows they must corto/largo, same with any open breed gaited shows.

ponyboy 03-08-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kywalkers2012 (Post 1280392)
Also, Paso Finos don't rack. It's a different gait than a rack.

Nope, it is the same as the rack (or saddle rack depending on speed). It's just called by a Spanish name. The Icelandic gait is a rack too, only it's called by an Icelandic name.

churumbeque 03-09-2012 05:54 PM

I assume you mean open shows since she doesn't gait. Even in an open show you should show the horse as you would in a breed show so no parking out.