The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   A Few Color Questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/few-color-questions-101055/)

Arksly 10-20-2011 08:41 PM

A Few Color Questions

I was wondering what the allowed colors are for these breeds:

- Quarter Horse
- Paint
- Arabian
- Clydesdale
- Percheron
- Thoroughbred
- Hanoverian
- Andalusian
- Appaloosa

Thanks in advance.

caseymyhorserocks 10-20-2011 09:42 PM

Oh boy... :-) Here I go! Im pretty sure these colors are legal, there may be more but I think these are the main ones:
Arabian - gray, chestnut, bay, roan, solid black, Sabino, Rabican, Dominant White,
Pinto (color registry) - (all with white spots, but these are the main color) Black, Brown, Bay, Bay Road, Blue Roan, Buckskin, Gray, Grullo, Dun, Perlino, Cremello,Chestnut, Red Roan, Palomine, Red Dun, Sorrel
Quarter Horse - all solid colors
Clydesdale: bay and brown, some gray and black, markings on legs, face, sometimes on the body are frequent.
Percheron - gray, occasional black or bay without white markings
Throughbred - bay, dark bay/brown, black, gray/roan, chestnut, rarely white, palamino and cremello very rare
Appaloosa - six patterns (white blanket, spotted blanket, leopard, snowflake, frost/frosted tips, and marble)with any color, molted skin around eyes, lips, and genitalia, striped hooves, and white sclerea around the eyes.
Andalusian - mostly gray (all variations), bay, black, chestnut, grulla, palomino, and Isabella, lineback dun and leopard Appaloosa extremely rare. Spanish registry only accepts grays, blacks, and bays. The Portugese Stud Book allows horses of any color. White markings are not desireable.
Hanoverian - any solid color, commonly bay, brown, black or gray
Oh, the color isabella or isabelline, is like pale grey-yellow, pale fawn, pale cream-brown or a parchment color...

Chiilaa 10-20-2011 09:56 PM

I could go through and tell you each one, but the way I would find out would be to google the breed society and check their website. I did the first one for you:

Let me google that for you

Once you have the breed society, go to their 'standards' or whatever they call it, where they list the features they consider ideal. It will list accepted colours.

Arksly 10-20-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks (Post 1207124)
Pinto (color registry)

Thank you very much.

Just to be clear, I was asking for Paint, as in the breed.

NdAppy 10-20-2011 10:05 PM

You could very easily google search the breed registries to find this information...

APHA.Com - Coat Colors

NdAppy 10-20-2011 10:07 PM

http://www.aqha.com/~/media/AF002DB0...511BA5B3D.ashx

NdAppy 10-20-2011 10:10 PM

Guide to Identifying an Appaloosa

I think you can look up the rest on your own. :wink: It's not complicated.

Poseidon 10-20-2011 10:23 PM

Roan also exists in Percherons, it's just uncommon. TBs do not have dun. Arabs don't have cream or dun.

Chiilaa 10-20-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 1207183)
Roan also exists in Percherons, it's just uncommon.

And isn't in Arabians.

Poseidon 10-20-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseymyhorserocks
Oh, the color isabella or isabelline, is like pale grey-yellow, pale fawn, pale cream-brown or a parchment color...

The term "Isabella" refers to a very light shade of palomino.

The white markings on Clydesdales are caused by sabino.