The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Ugg... Help With Corners... And Turning.. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/ugg-help-corners-turning-101064/)

HorseLoverHunter 10-20-2011 09:42 PM

Ugg... Help With Corners... And Turning..

Today was reallllly baddd.... I went to my lesson that I had planned to have for show prep because I leave tomorrow morning! At first (very first!) it was ok, but then It just got bad... I could not get Bee to turn at all!! I came off 3 times because we ran into fences! We would be cantering fine down the straight but then when we got to the fence near the gate, she would try to turn left! Right into the fence!! She would also try to run me into barrels and standards in the arena! My trainer got on and she could go around the corners just fine!! She told me it was because I had let her do that for a while when I first started riding her, that when it's time to get serious she try's to play games! How do I get her to not do that anymore!??? She usually doesn't do it, but I did let her a few times in the beginning today but that was because there were people in the way.

tinyliny 10-20-2011 10:00 PM

I guess you may have to smack some sense into her next time she does it. If you know she is doing this willfully, then next time she does it, give her three big whacks and a loud "cut it out!" . Smarten her up and make her have just a bit of fear/respect of you.
Then, when she does it right a few times, you tell her what a good girl she is. She won't hate you or really fear you. She'll just have second thoughts about doing that again, and get down to business. I don't suppose she works more than an hour or two a day for her hay. She can handle that.

HorseLoverHunter 10-20-2011 10:27 PM

Thanks! I think that would work! I hadn't thought about smacking her when she did it! Today we worked an hour 1/2 just so I could get her really really deep into the corners!

DuffyDuck 10-21-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1207154)
I guess you may have to smack some sense into her next time she does it. If you know she is doing this willfully, then next time she does it, give her three big whacks and a loud "cut it out!" . Smarten her up and make her have just a bit of fear/respect of you.
Then, when she does it right a few times, you tell her what a good girl she is. She won't hate you or really fear you. She'll just have second thoughts about doing that again, and get down to business. I don't suppose she works more than an hour or two a day for her hay. She can handle that.

Completely agree! You don't have to be whip happy or anything, or have the horse a nervous wreck under you, but that horse needs to have respect for you as the rider!

Can I ask how much schooling you do before your jumping? Perhaps you need to do 1/2 hour of schooling, intense schooling, before hand. If she won't ride into your corners, then do a 10m circle in every corner she doesn't go in to. Serpentines, loads of transitions and excel, decline the velocity of the gait when you're in it, make sure she is completely tuned in to you before you do the jumping. But I agree, if she stops, hang on, and whack or kick, get that jump over and done with even if its from a standstill.

AlexS 10-21-2011 04:41 AM

The horse needs to listen to you, but it also sounds like she could do with a break. Take her out of the arena and away from the jumps, not in the moment she is refusing, but on an entirely separate ride.

rottenweiler 10-24-2011 02:30 PM

I agree with the 'stern correction'. I am riding a green tbxhanovarian and he has taken to throwing his head down when I ask for the canter. My instructor kept telling me 'don't let him do that you're not correcting him' I thought I WAS correcting him, using leg and keeping my weight in the saddle so I didn't go forward. Last week when I couldn't for the life of me get him to pick up the left lead canter, I asked her to get on and make him do it. She got on and he immediately tried to throw his head down with her too and she yanked back on the outside reign enough to make him raise his head and turn it out and gave him a smack with the crop and said "You're not going to do that with ME!" and he was well behaved after that

Jessie13 10-25-2011 08:35 AM

You dont need to smack you pony!
I dont want to sound mean, but maybe look at your riding before you critisize your pony. If he didnt do it with your instructor it might not be the pony. Obviously I didnt see you riding and it may be the pony, but I always go with the thinking that horses only misbehave because of something that an owner/rider is/has done. Horses are very rarely naughty/mean by nature, they are noble, trusting, forgiving animals.

Sorry if i sound mean, I just feel very strongly about this as I work with rescue horses that have been beaten because 'they were naughty' when actually the riders couldnt actually ride and the horses just couldnt take anymore/was in too much pain to carry on, so I know what horses are like after they have a few smacks.

HorseLoverHunter 10-25-2011 01:33 PM

No, Bee is very smart and trusting. She wouldn't try to hurt me, she did this on purpose to mess with me. Even my trainer told me that. But thanks!

DuffyDuck 10-26-2011 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseLoverHunter (Post 1211499)
No, Bee is very smart and trusting. She wouldn't try to hurt me, she did this on purpose to mess with me. Even my trainer told me that. But thanks!

Horses do, on occasion, get the upper hand and do this! I hope everything is better with Bee, and that you've cracked your corners ;)

The Copper Kid 10-26-2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessie13 (Post 1211233)
You dont need to smack you pony!
I dont want to sound mean, but maybe look at your riding before you critisize your pony. If he didnt do it with your instructor it might not be the pony. Obviously I didnt see you riding and it may be the pony, but I always go with the thinking that horses only misbehave because of something that an owner/rider is/has done. Horses are very rarely naughty/mean by nature, they are noble, trusting, forgiving animals.

Sorry if i sound mean, I just feel very strongly about this as I work with rescue horses that have been beaten because 'they were naughty' when actually the riders couldnt actually ride and the horses just couldnt take anymore/was in too much pain to carry on, so I know what horses are like after they have a few smacks.

There is a difference in a couple wacks and beating an animal. I would never do anything to harm an animal but when Copper is out of line, he knows it the instant he does it. And that is because he gets a good wack on the flank or shoulder. I understand the whole natural horsemanship and respect it... Copper's training is based off of it. That being said, the instant he tries to do something that is either a sign of disrespect, or puts me or others in harms way a smack is needed. Also we aren't talking about punching the crap out of your horse. An open handed smack just creates a good sound that snaps the horse into line. They don't like to be startled and the sound of a smack is what is takes sometimes.

Quick story time:
My friends horse is a biter... and I mean lunges at you biter. She is a sweet horse so I really believe that she thinks it is some sort of game. Anywho. He would have to walk her through two paddocks and go to the tack room for her ground work things because he ONLY believed in running her and making her work as a correction. Once that halter is on and she is being led to the round pen... its gone. She has no way of connecting Biting=work anymore because like you said Jessie; it is a VERY big rarety that a horse has a vandetta against you... She doesn't get that something wrong was done, she just thinks it is training time. But let me tell you she came at me once and all it took was a good connecting smack and she hasn't tried it again with me, but continues to do it with others. And it is pretty irritating actually, he looks at me like I'm amazing because I got her to not lunge at me. When in reality she knows I'm not going to play that game, it is not okay. And she isn't timid or scared of me at all because of it. All it did was create a line that isn't to be crossed.

He isn't doing it with the instructer because he knows that game doesn't fly when the instructer is riding. I like the way it was said... don't get whip happy on Bee... but use your "mom" voice and a good smack will snap him back into place. It is dangerous what he is doing...he could really hurt you without the intention to. Get on him about it... every single time, but never end on that note. Maybe outside of a lesson if he is having a bad day the moment he does it good and is minding you completely jump off and be done with riding for the day. Give him lots of loves afterwards... all the rubs and grooming a horse could want! :) He'll get the picture... good rides mean LOTS of love... disrespect means the "mom" voice come out!

Hope everything works out.