The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   New to training looking for helpful advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-training-looking-helpful-advice-101081/)

MarleysGirl 10-20-2011 11:10 PM

New to training looking for helpful advice

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please go easy on me. I have been riding for a long time and recently purchased a 4-5 year old green mare paint pony (she's just an inch shy of a horse). Within 3 weeks she is saddled (western), Bridled (d ring snaffle), Lunging (wt master, bucking with her canter, and poor with her whoa), accepting a rider in her back and in the process of being trained to neck rein (a bit confused but not pitching a fit). I have never broke a fully green horse before but have been on a number of good/bad/horrible horses and have been very successful with breaking bad habits. I am looking for some advice on what I shouldn't do and if anyone has suggestions with a training process. She seems to be responding very well and seems to enjoy the work. I have been using positive reinforcement constantly and am going at her pace. I don't want to skip any important steps. So far there has been no bucking or rearing while riding, I keep her sessions short and always end on a good note. My plan for her is to be a pleasure ride on and off the farm and I would like to break her into barrels but that's the long term goal. I have no time limits and don't want to rush her. I just want to make sure I do this right. She was originally purchased from Camelot and has no papers or history, so I am in the dark with what to expect. Any friendly advice?

Ace80908 10-20-2011 11:45 PM

Sounds like you are doing right by her so far - if her under saddle work is going well and she constantly improves in her training, she is telling you she is understanding her lessons - I would do a search on this forum for similar green horse advice, and look at youtube as well -

Just keep an idea of what you want to accomplish for each week, each month, each lesson and work towards that goal - when we ride aimlessly we don't teach our horses or improve ourselves.

Good luck! Cheers, kris

MarleysGirl 10-21-2011 12:05 AM

Thanks Kris :-)

We're learning together, and so far it's been great. I'm going to check the forum for some green horse advice. My brain is so fried from youtube.

bubba13 10-21-2011 12:23 AM

Don't neck rein her until she is more fully broke. She needs to have a very solid understanding of plow reining, lateral cues, and leg response before you move to that step.

MarleysGirl 10-21-2011 12:33 AM

Ok I can definitely wait on her neck reining.
Question about bits... I started her in a d-ring snaffle which she seems to now be comfortable with. She doesn't play with it anymore and she responds immediately to it with her whoa. The barn owner told me the other day, that I should try a full cheek snaffle on her for steering purposes, which would make sense but I don't want to confuse her and switch things around on her so early if I don't have to.

bubba13 10-21-2011 01:46 AM

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. If she works in the D-ring, no reason to switch.

rob 10-21-2011 09:07 AM

i agree with both statements bubba.

katieandscooby 10-21-2011 10:17 AM

You sound like your doing great. But yes don't start neck reining until everything you want her to be able to do neck reining she can do on a direct rein.
Posted via Mobile Device

MarleysGirl 10-21-2011 12:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. She did wonderfully today with direct reining but then she saw the boys. Of course after stating how well she is taking to her training I have returned from a miserable day of training. No fault of her own, this is her first heat cycle that she is working through so today we discovered bucking. I just picked up some Mare Magic to help us along. I guess this is why I have always adored my geldings but this time a mare had to steal my heart! I'm not easily strayed thank goodness.

bubba13 10-21-2011 02:07 PM

When she bucks at this point, I'd just circle her tight, make her work a little, then get back to what you were doing. She doesn't know enough for you to start really punishing her yet.