The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Pulling the mane... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/pulling-mane-101092/)

blue eyed pony 10-21-2011 05:20 AM

Pulling the mane...

so I'm pulling my filly's mane and it's the first time I've ever pulled a mane. I've been shown how but I have a couple of questions.

Does it hurt them? I've been told by three different people three different things. First said it does hurt, second said it hurts if you do it when it's cold because the pores are all closed up, and third said it doesn't hurt at all. I'm not sure who I believe but my girl's barely reacting to it so it can't be that bad. I've done maybe the lower 1/3 of her mane but was told not to do it all in one day so she'll get more pulled tomorrow and the next day until it's done.

I'm pulling with my hands, wearing a glove on the hand I'm using to pull the hair out (so my hands are in no danger and the glove gives better grip so it's easier to pull it out), but would it be a quicker job if I used a pulling comb? I can pick one up at the local tack shop for a few dollars so they're cheap enough.

When I've got the length I want, for a thick mane, should I continue to pull to thin it out, or does pulling for the length thin it out sufficiently?

kitten_Val 10-21-2011 02:51 PM

I believe GH posted this video while back:
I agree with Lynn: it's much easier to pull right after the work out (even my qh tolerated it last time, while usually she doesn't).

Golden Horse 10-21-2011 03:03 PM

Hehehe, beat me to it Val, that is indeed my favorite how to pull video, works so well, and once you get in the rhythm it is very quick.

As to thinning, it depends on how much mane you have in the first place:wink:

DejaVu 10-21-2011 04:53 PM

I was also going to suggest that video. She explains it so well.

I would definitely get a pulling comb. You can move a lot more evenly with a comb, I feel. Less stress to your hands, better grip on the mane, easier to pull....It's just a lot easier.

Saddlebag 10-21-2011 06:52 PM

We always pull from the underside and only 3 or 4 hairs at a time. A metal mane comb makes it easier for you to pull it from the roots rather than just breaking it. When grooming the mane it is better to flip it over the neck or just finger comb until you are sure there are no tangles then comb starting next to the neck, teeth facing you.

kitten_Val 10-21-2011 09:05 PM

The only problem you indeed have to go with just little bit of hair at time (at least in my experience :wink: ). As long as you grab too much - not gonna work.

blue eyed pony 10-21-2011 10:30 PM

thanks all :) i do have to work her daily so it's easy enough for me to pull her mane after :) will have to get that mane comb after work today
Posted via Mobile Device

sdellin 10-22-2011 02:22 AM

why would you pull a mane? why not just trim it all to the same length? I'm guessing it's because you want a less thick mane?

blue eyed pony 10-22-2011 03:16 AM

need it to be thinner more like! it's ridiculous. way too much to braid it nicely.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 10-22-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdellin (Post 1208322)
why would you pull a mane? why not just trim it all to the same length? I'm guessing it's because you want a less thick mane?

Trim doesn't look very neat IMHO (no offense to anyone). I did trim my qh (as she doesn't tolerate pulling too well), but it wasn't nearly as good looking as pulled mane (plus yes, majority of cases you want to thin it too).